Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gulf Fritillary on Passion Vine

Posted by AnneCW z7 Okla (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 03 at 9:39

We transplanted a wild passion vine and enjoyed the beautiful flowers. These pictures show our experience with the Gulf Fritillary Butterfly and the vine. It was so exciting to learn firsthand about the life cycle of the Gulf Frit! However, next year we are going to provide the butterfly with another vine in a different location... somewhere near the back of the yard... way back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gulf Fritillary on Passion Vine

Great photo dairy! Thank you for sharing it. The last photo left me with my mouth hanging open! I have just returned from a visit to the west coast where my DIL has hundreds of these butterflies on a passiflora. She will be most upset if they denude the vines as your guests have done. I suspect that they will happily find whatever you have there for them. Good luck!
spiderwoman

o

I really enjoyed the album -- its wonderful that you appreciate the butterflies, rather than BT'ing them to death just to save leaves!

I'm planning to plant some passiflora for the express purpose of hosting gulf frits, hope i have the same success you do!

o

Gulf fritillaries is how I got into passiflora. One thing I did learn--the more vines you plant, the more fritillaries you will get. There are other passionvines that caterpillars don't eat--but many of my 30+ varieties were stripped bare. It's kind of a love-hate relationship!
We just visited the Houston Museum of Natural History's butterfly house. Very interesting and educational.
flicker

o

I have a MG vine thats wild that they de leafed.it still bloomed though.I look at it as they are saveing me water on the plant.it has some scraps of leaves.The mimosa tree in that spot died and we cut it down.something was wrong with tree,but did have one trunk that still bloomed and tree would be covered with them.They'll land on pond lilly pads for a drink.They are hard to shoot pics of,unless on a zinnia.i keep a snadbirdbath wet for them.it does have a few things sprout from time to time....and I sprouted a iris seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here