Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Passion Fruit Vine?

jane__ny
9 years ago

I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly garden. I'm in Sarasota, Fl, zone 9-10.

Neighbor came over today and said the leaves do not look like a Passion flower. Now I'm wondering. It seems quite aggressive as the growth in 1 month is extreme.

Can anyone tell me if Passion Flower and Passion Flower Fruit Vine are the same??

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (8)

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Post a PIC./

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for answering. I will take a pic tomorrow but it hasn't flowered yet. It was in a gallon pot and I put it in the ground a month ago. I take some shots of the leaves.

Jane

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

if your neighbor expects all species of Passiflora to look the same, he or she is in for a surprise.

• flatwoods_farm
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

let's see the leaves. passionvines make passion flowers and then come the passion fruits. there are hundreds of kinds

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you. Here is the photo. The vine is growing like crazy and is beginning to concern me. Hope I didn't get myself into trouble.

The label only says, Passion fruit Vine

• passiefarm
    9 years ago

Definitely a passion vine- hundreds of varieties. In Florida the most common plants available with leaves like your picture are edulis (usually purple fruit), edulis flavicarpa (yellow fruit), and Byron Beauty. All of these can exceed 40 feet, just trim to contain.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

I second the passion vine.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information. Yikes, 40ft in my small butterfly garden. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Jane

Sponsored