Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie83_gw

passion from seed ?

angie83
17 years ago

Hope someone will know this if I grow passion flowers from seed when will they bloom 2 year or the same year .I had some from seed grow last year but the cats eat it to ground so not sure if the bloom the same year are much longer.I just want to know whether to buy my plants older or grow some from seeds.

Comments (14)

• lizwat
    17 years ago

My experience is 2-5 years from seed. If you can get the plants you want, it is a lot easier that way. Save the seed growing for the less common ones.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

If you want blooms this year I would buy a plant. I planted some seeds last year and Incarnata and yellow passionfruit both flowered but not till towards the end of the season. I think it also depends if one has a long growing season - how long it will take. If you are trying for fruit this year you prob. need a plant vs a seed. I have some that I started last year that have not flowered yet and I do have a long growing season.
    ~SJN

• chena
    17 years ago

Do ya'll think that WS will make a difference as far as being able to extend the season???
    Chena

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep but its hard to find some kinds down here but you right I wont get flower for some time with seeds if at all.Ill grow the seeds for cat food and just transfer the cats off the ones I get that are ready to flower this year on to the seed plants.Hope I get some fruit this year.

• chena
    17 years ago

Okay Angie. I am new here to Passi's.No flowers at all.. Cat food??? I don't get it.. I'm sure I just need to be more informed.. maybe you could help..
    Chena

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hehe sorry I meant caterpillar for butterflys I always call the cats hehe.Last year those guys ate more all my passionflowers to ground.

• chena
    17 years ago

LOL...I GET IT!!!!THANKS..
    Chena

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I couldn't tell you because this is the first year that I'm growing passiflora from seed. I'm not even sure what I'll end up with because I don't know which variety pollinated the plants that I took fruit from. I do have some nice little seedlings though. It's also easy to grow many passifloras from cuttings.

The cats in my yard only want to eat the passies that I don't want them on. I had 25' of Lavender Lady that they wouldn't touch but they'll eat my poor little 3' vines : (
    Karyn

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That how they did me to they didnt eat my lavender lady till they have eatin my incense and blue sky to the ground and then lady marget after that.But I was dumb last year I killed every red wasp I saw this year Im lettin nature that is corse just not ganna watch them fly off with the poor cats.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I had a lot of parasitic wasps in my yard last summer too. I didn't kill them but I did end up raising a number of monarchs inside. It was fun and they did well (23 or 24 out of 26 successfully eclosed) but it was a pain in the butt cleaning out the enclosures and replacing the asclepias daily. Not again, nature will have to take her course and the cats will have to fend for themselves.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

It also depends on what species of passiflora you grow. I started an incarnata from seed in Aug. of 2005, babied it all winter and it developed a good root system in the pot, and planted it in the ground outside in March of 2006. By July it was flowering like you wouldn't believe. If you start some seeds now, then you might have flowers by the end of summer.

Of course, as a rule plants gained from cuttings tend to flower sooner than seedlings.

• chena
    17 years ago

WOOHOO!!!
    I got around and gathered up some seed I have and got it soaking...
    Edulis
    Maiformis
    Lingularis
    JS
    Constance Elliot
    also some Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose (Argvreia nervosa) and some Mina Lobata..
    I have some dutchmans pipe seed .. I was interested if anyone else grows it.. I heard that it will only germinate if it is fresh(moist).. any thoughts? I really would love to grow this.. just don't want to take the time if the seed I have isn't viable..
    Blessings
    Chena

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chena I would talk to karyn1 she has give me the only pipevine seeds I have ever gottin to grow.I have tried a ton of times and no luck till I got some from her fresh they all sprouted and are doing well now.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Chena I've had very good results with dry pipevine seeds, my own and some from other people. I have found that mine only germinate when I use bottom heat. I just sow the seeds on top of moist potting mix, cover the container and set it on a heat mat. I mist the soil at least once a day. Germination takes anywhere from 1-4 weeks.
    Karyn