Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

What Pollen can I use to....

ninecrow
17 years ago

Set Fruit on my Edulis Flav? (Haven't had any luck So Far *Sigh*)

Thanks Guy's

{{gwi:102376}}

Comments (9)

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

I'm by no means an expert of passionfruit pollination, but researching the topic the purple ones are "supposed" to be self fertile I guess? Sometimes getting the righ pollen howver on some plants can be related to having proper temperatures and other conditions , so I wonder if you're getting the pollen you need? I'd guess just using an artists paintbrush to trasfer the pollen would work perhaps, if you haven't the insect and other pollinators in a greenhouse environment!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's Not the Purple fruited one and it's NOT self-fertile...
    I WILL be trying again with it's own pollen though, just to see if I've got the Non Selfer part right...

Mine is inside on a windowsill so there are NO bee's or whatnots

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Flavs aren't self-compatible, but you might try bud pollination. I understand that's used to induce fruiting in some species when another plant isn't handy.

Ideally, you'd have a non-related Flav or another p. edulis around for pollination, and vice versa. But obviously you don't, hence the dilemma. Good luck!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jblaschke How do you Bud Pollinate
    Thanks

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

I wasn't sure it wasn't the purple one, but obviously you need another plant to pollinate in that case.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

I'll have to check my books when I get home, but basically bud pollination is hand-pollinating the flowers before they open. You'll need to collect some pollen and store it, then a day or so before a blossom opens on its own, open it and apply the pollen. Incompatibility defenses supposedly haven't developed yet, so it should be possible to self-fruit or hybridize with otherwise incompatible pollen from other species.

I've never had luck with this method, although I've only tried it with my Incense. Krstofer or Kiwinut may have more to say on the matter.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank You jblaschke

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

Have you tried caerulea or incarnata pollen. My yellows will set with caerulea but someone told me that incarnata would also work. You may have to save/store your pollen in the event that they (caerulea and edulis)dont flower together on the same day. On the passionflow website it just states that you can use pollen from an unrelated clone to set fruit with yellow edulis. Pollinate in the morning and raise the humidity around the plant (do not get the bloom wet) to help with pollination (you prob already knew this though). Let us know if it works out for you and what you used.
    ( read something about passies being susceptible to thier own pollen (even if they normally aren't) by the method of opening a bud and pollinating, on the Passionflow site. It seems that the normal defenses or immunities can be bypassed that way but I am not really that savvy on how to do it. Would be interesting to know in creating new hybrids. Anyone have more details?)
    ~SJN

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1125073}}

Just found this one while going though my Photos

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?