o
Which would you buy?

Posted by fluffygrue z8 UK (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 10:24

Hm.. I have a choice of buying one of either:
Purple Rain
Victoria
Temptation

Do I get a Purple Rain and leave it outdoors over winter (meant to be reasonably hardy?) or get a Victoria or Temptation and bring them in over winter..? (Zone 8bish here.) Which is the most difficult-to-find one?

Would appreciate any advice!
Melanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which would you buy?

Oh my! I wasn't familiar with any of those, so I looked them all up, and am totally personally smitten with Temptation! Aptly named! The others, while beautiful like all passiflora, were more common looking, I thought. But I have absolutely no information about rarity, so I suppose, in the end, follow your instinct *lol* But I personally would buy the Temptation. Here in California, it's not an issue of how hardy, but how to keep them under control! I have p. exoniensis (my favorite), molissima, giant granadilla (which could possibly become a favorite if I could get the dang thing to flower....), citrina, lavender lady, sunburst, biflora, sanguineolenta, and caerulea. Have seeds to others, but haven't sown them yet!
Amanda 'romando'

o

Hi Melanie
Temptation is beautiful but is prone to mildew in our climate.
Purple Rain or Violacea should both be fairly hardy, Purple Rain being more so without doubt. Best time to but is Spring.
Myles

o

Myles - Many thanks for that, I hadn't considered that mildew would be an issue. I'll probably get Purple Rain for outdoors for now, then. :)

Amanda - Wow, very envious of your collection! I'm gradually trying less frost-hardy ones, as caerulea and Constance Elliot are still growing despite plenty of frosts. I definitely agree that Temptation's gorgeous - will see how it does, might have to keep it indoors though!

Melanie :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here