Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

My passionflower HATES winter

mersiepoo
17 years ago

We are building our house and are living in the semi heated basement. All my plants are downstairs under lights and have been living like this for about 3 months. So far it has killed my poor camellia and is also doing in a citrus. My passionflower is losing its leaves, I was wondering how many hours under artificial lights I should give it, and is that why its losing it's leaves? They all turned yellow an fell off. The vine itself is still green. It's a p x decaisneana. Any and all help is appreciated.

Comments (11)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Sorry, but I can't help you. Until this week, my passis haven't spent more than two consecutive days inside, mostly coming in at night when the temps dropped. We've had exceptionally warm weather this winter, even for Texas, and they're all pretty happy right at this moment. Are you using plain florescent lights, incandescent, or plant lights? From my experience, plants seem to tolerate florescent better than incandescent, but don't like either terribly much. Plant (grow lights) lights keep them somewhat happy, but are more costly and don't seem to last very long.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

They do seem to do better with plant lights. You may have to play detective or process of elimination a little to see what exactly is wrong. Very often passies will yellow/drop leaves from overwatering indoors. They will not be taking up the same amount of water as when they were outdoors because they are not actively growing as much. They may need to dry out a little before watering again. Check at least a few inches down with your finger to see if they are damp before watering. Also humidity can cause havoc indoors. Heaters will dry out plants/leaves so you may need to mist more often. Keep out of direct path of heaters/vents. Also misting will help with another potential problem of yellowing leaves ~Mites! Spider mites love dry warm conditions inside the house misting can help along with soapy water sprayed on the leaves or miticides if necessary. I would give them at least 12 hours of lights and you can turn them off for awhile at night. Read somewhere that plants need some amt. darkness to digest their food. Just offering some guesses as to what may be wrong- hope this helps.
    ~SJN

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

Sounds like spider mites to me as well. I have a terrible time with them indoors. I started using a humidifier, which has slowed them down considerably. Look closely at the leaves and see if the yellowing starts as speckles. You should be able to just see the little @#$%^'s if you look closely. I have the red mites, which are easier to see. I am having good results controlling them so far after I started misting with a 35% isopropanol solution every couple of days. Insecticidal soap was not as effective and harmed the plants if I used it too much.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the helpful info, all. I think it was a combination of a draft coming through the crack at the bottom of the door, not enough light AND a bit too much watering. I increased the amount of light, held back on the watering and stuffed the draft a bit.

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Mersipoo!!!
    How are your Passi's doing ?? Got an update for us??? I have one Fledermaus that has lost it's leaves but the stem is still hangin in there... Got it under warm lights with lots of humidity and got my fingers crossed ... Hope yours are makin it...
    Blessings
    Chena

• chills71
    17 years ago

kiwinut.

I went the systemic route to fight the mites this year.

Before moving the plants indoors I gave each one a trim (absolutely necessary on the Lavender Lady as it had entangled itself beyond all hope into my Sweet Autumn Clematis and Kiwi vines). Next I gave each a bit of fertilizer (fish emulsion) and Bonide Systemic. The plants remained outside for another few days and then were brought in. I have had to leaf spotting or webbing, though I do still tend to lose some leaves anyway. (they're great for the fireplace, but my wife says they smell illegal when burned...lol)

My bat-winged, edulis and an unknown haven't lost a single leaf. My lavender lady and Vitifolia have bloomed off and on all winter and my incense has been growing very well, but hasn't budded at all.

~Chills

• shiollie
    17 years ago

Hi Mersiepoo, Dont worry about your passies! I have been growing and overwintering them for about 3 years now and when the weather starts getting cold I just put them in an unheated room ( it can get to about 40 degrees) and forget about them untill spring. They are a little slow in returning, but when they do, they come back with a vengenance and lots of blooms, the blooms are bigger and smell sweeter!! They look horrid in winter but they sure make up for it in the summer!!

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Chena, and everyone else who is helping me with my Passi!
    Guess what, (I hope I'm not jinxing myself) good news! At first I thought it was over. The main vine was getting brown and was moving slooooowly towards the base of the plant. I had plugged up the draft, I put the lights closer to it (I have regular old light bulbs), made sure to water it (I think I was underwatering it, lol!) every week or so, and I FINALLY see a new little leaf bud peeking out from the main stem! WOOHOO! I think it may survive! I'd be so happy if it does, cuz I don't want to have to order another replacement. The one thing it didn't have is spider mites, lol! Everything else, yeah, but not those....

I'm still working on keeping my arabian tea jasmine from the boneyard, it's mad at me, but I think I see a little leaf bud on it's main stem. :) There's hope for my black thumb yet!

I'll let you all know if it survives into April (hopefully I'll be able to move it slowly into regular sunshine). Thanks a million for everything, all! :)

• roxxanne
    17 years ago

Hi Mersiepoo! I am also in PA and want to start growing passiflora. Where in PA are you? I'm in Washington, PA What variety are you growing, and is it still OK?
    Roxanne

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Roxxane! I'm south of Waynesburg about 25 miles, near the WV border. We're almost neighbors, ha ha!
    Well, my p. decaisanea is pretty much dead. At first it started to grow a new leaf, but then gave up. It was inside this winter and didn't like the cold room/dry heat we had for it, plus I may have over watered it, but I don't think so because almost all my other plants died too. I'm still in the second stage of grief. I'm not giving up though, I bought a maypop passi from jung seed, and I will grow THAT inside, hey it can't die right?

Which ones do you grow?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012