Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

Passie's for hanging basket's?

tropicalfreak
18 years ago

curious if anyone has ever grown passie's in basket's??

Comments (7)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

I havent tried it though it sounds like an excellent idea. I noticed in the logee's catalog they have listed pura vida (purple and pink), p_saphire, and p_piresii all as good specimens for hanging baskets. I imagine most of them would be unless they had really heavy fruits that might make them break off. I am also curious to know if any one has tried baskets and which species they used.
    ~SJN

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

I have had P. Sanguinolenta in a hanging pot (not a basket they dry out too fast here in the summer). Its a plant that really likes to hang down and looks very effective. I would have thought the plants mentioned above would be too big for a hanging basket and P. Piresii definitely grows 'upwards' and flowers on the highest stems - very impressively too!

• fluffygrue
    18 years ago

I've not tried, but it's a lovely idea! My only concern would be them getting enough water.. certainly would look better than annual bedding plants in baskets, anyhow.

*more reasons to stock up on passiflora..*

Melanie

• LIponderer
    18 years ago

Yes, most passies do well in hanging baskets. I work in a greenhouse and we sell P. Belotti in an 8" basket. You have to make sure they get enough water and keep winding the vine and pruning for shape. Really looks nice. I personally have Constance Elliot, Lady Margaret, Purple Haze, Lady Lavender, Carulea and Trifasciata in hanging baskets and all are doing well. A friend of mine has P. Edulis in a 10" hanging basket and it seems to be ok, but it hasn't had fruit yet.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

liponderer,
    Do the passies spill over the side of the basket and just hang? or do the tendrils grab on to each other and try to climb? Which ones do you think are the best? Perhaps one of those self watering type hanging pots would be good? I definitely want to try this, this year. I wonder if lady margaret or sunburst would do ok, as I have new cuttings started of these.

• LIponderer
    18 years ago

They do hang over the side but tend to grow up and out. They grab onto anything they can. Just wind around the basket and tuck in. Any pieces that don't look right just cut off. All the varieties that I've named with the exception of edulis are all doing well in a basket hanging in my living room window. The edulis is at work but also doing well in the basket. My lady margaret started out in a 4 inch hanging basket but quickly outgrew it. She is now in an 8 inch basket and doing fine. I am not a fan of self watering baskets since I feel they keep the plant too wet and I definitely wouldn't use the self watering basket on the lady margaret as she likes it on the dry side. Hope that helps.

• sgeorgia
    18 years ago

I can't wait to try belotii and jelly joker in a basket! (although it goes against what they like to do...climb)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County