Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow passion fruit

Posted by bilccccc south florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 15:16

my yellow passion fruit plants are healthy and flowering abundantly.
I am not getting any fruit.
I have not seen any bees or butterflies in the area
How can I make them fruit ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow passion fruit

You need to hand-pollinate the blooms, according to crfg.org.

o

Hand pollination is the best way to ensure large full fruits. One caveat: Some Passiflora are not self-compatible, and need a different clone to pollinate it. This may be your problem more than the lack of vectors.

o

Yellow passion fruit is not self-fertile. I have the same problem. Do you still have flowers? Then we could share some pollen and get our plants to set fruit.

o

I grow yellow passion fruit (Maracuja- Brazilian variety) and I have three vines growing next to each other. I also cross hand pollinate the flowers. Look what I get! My record is a 430 grams, almost a 1 lb fruit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 25, 11 at 23:14

Last year I did not have bees either and thankfully hand pollinating my purple colored passion fruit flowers took the place of bees. I used a Q-tip and had a huge crop.

I didn't know that the yellow variety are not self fertile, bummer there.

BTW,

I solved my bee problem by going to Lowes and Home Depot and watching the bees on the perennial flower patch to see what they liked. I wound up with four varieties, and
between them, my carambola, calamondin and Kumquats the bees found my property and now do the job God meant them (and not me) to do :-)

o

Some cultivars of P. edulis flavicarpa are self incompatible, but many are not. Hand pollinate right as the flowers open for best results, pull off an anther and use it as the applicator on the ends of the three stigmas. You'll know in a few days if it works. Paul

o

Just go round the vine with a paint brush and swish the brush over the flowers - that will pollinate the flowers for you. Luckily not necessary for me to do - but it does work. Cheers. Royce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here