Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion flower won't bloom outside

Posted by jo-smo 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 15:37

I planted my passion flower outside last summer and it grew like crazy. Maybe 9 - 10 feet but it didn't flower. I had it growing on the wall of my garage which faces east on the south side of my house. I have cutting overwintering again this year and I would like to put them out again but how do I get them to flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion flower won't bloom outside

• Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 15/16 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 23:53

Hi jo-smo,

I'm probably not the best person to address your problem, but since nobody has gotten back to you I'll ask a couple questions:

Do you know what species/hybrid it is? This may be crucial. If you don't know, if you can find a picture of it that may also be useful.

Do you fertilize? Apparently sometimes this can produce growth at the expense of flowers.

How old was the plant? It's possible it needs more than one summer to go from rooted cutting (if that's what it was) to blooming size. If that's a problem you may want to start it in a pot for a year or two before putting it in the ground.

I'm sure there are other obvious questions; those are just the ones off the top of my head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here