Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Dad's Passie in France

ninecrow
17 years ago

Is it Amethyst?

I have some fruits from it and they have a few what look like good seeds.... I'm going to start them...

Comments (11)

• angie83
    17 years ago

Nice then you got the good one that has fruit mine looks just like that but wont fruit it a lavender lady .graz on your seeds hope they as preety as the mother plant.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's one of the fruit for proof.... *Grin*

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Are Lavender Lady and Amethyst the same plant? I have a few Lavender Lady's that look just like that but they've never produced any fruit. They are probably one of my best bloomers though and are always covered in flowers, even inside over the winter.
    Karyn

• angie83
    17 years ago

No they different in one way one has fruit one wont ever,I have the one without fruit :(.Just my luck hehe

• elizabeth_jb
    17 years ago

I have Amethyst. It is in the garden and pops back up all over the place every year. It's more delicate than some of the other passifloras that I have, and it's fruit looks just like yours!

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Amethyst is a very old hybrid that will produce occasional fruit. Lavender Lady is a newer hybrid that is similar in appearance although supposedly derived from different parents and may be (IIRC) a somewhat more vigorous vine (not that Amethyst is any slouch in that department). Lavender Lady is completely sterile and won't produce any fruit at all.

That does indeed look like an Amethyst. Very nice. They're also very easy to root cuttings from, in my experience.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

The LL's are so easy to root in plain water, even dirty cold water! I trimmed back a LL that was threatening to overtake my patio and stuck the cuttings in a bucket. When I remembered them a couple weeks later they had all rooted.
    Karyn

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well the seeds have been soaking for a few Days... I've sown them this Morn... Just hope they come up.... Would VERY much like to have this one again....

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Ninecrow, p. Amethyst is a hybrid, so it won't come true from seed--it needs an independent pollinator, so the seeds you have would be an F2 hybrid (second generation). There's no telling what the resulting plants/flowers will look like, but if you can tell what the pollen donor was, then you can guess. For example, if there are p. caerulea in the area, then you might come out with something similar to Myles Irvine's "Star of Bristol" (below link) or "Star of Bristol."

In any event, the resulting flowers from your seed ought to be very cool indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star of Bristol

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes there are....
    But they are the Blue one and Not 'Constance Eliott' So who know's what I'll get.... Fun this is.... LOL

• cookiesandcream
    16 years ago

Hey all!
    P.Amethyst will set fruit by the dozens if it has a suitable pollinator (Caerulea, "constance eliott" etc) mine set a ton of fruit this year and almost all were full of seeds! keeping them in the fridge until spring ready for sowing ^^
    CAC

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living