Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dad's Passie in France

Posted by ninecrow Midlands, England (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 15:44

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Is it Amethyst?
I have some fruits from it and they have a few what look like good seeds.... I'm going to start them...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dad's Passie in France

Nice then you got the good one that has fruit mine looks just like that but wont fruit it a lavender lady .graz on your seeds hope they as preety as the mother plant.

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's one of the fruit for proof.... *Grin*

o

Are Lavender Lady and Amethyst the same plant? I have a few Lavender Lady's that look just like that but they've never produced any fruit. They are probably one of my best bloomers though and are always covered in flowers, even inside over the winter.
Karyn

o

No they different in one way one has fruit one wont ever,I have the one without fruit :(.Just my luck hehe

o

I have Amethyst. It is in the garden and pops back up all over the place every year. It's more delicate than some of the other passifloras that I have, and it's fruit looks just like yours!

o

Amethyst is a very old hybrid that will produce occasional fruit. Lavender Lady is a newer hybrid that is similar in appearance although supposedly derived from different parents and may be (IIRC) a somewhat more vigorous vine (not that Amethyst is any slouch in that department). Lavender Lady is completely sterile and won't produce any fruit at all.

That does indeed look like an Amethyst. Very nice. They're also very easy to root cuttings from, in my experience.

o

The LL's are so easy to root in plain water, even dirty cold water! I trimmed back a LL that was threatening to overtake my patio and stuck the cuttings in a bucket. When I remembered them a couple weeks later they had all rooted.
Karyn

o

Well the seeds have been soaking for a few Days... I've sown them this Morn... Just hope they come up.... Would VERY much like to have this one again....

o

Ninecrow, p. Amethyst is a hybrid, so it won't come true from seed--it needs an independent pollinator, so the seeds you have would be an F2 hybrid (second generation). There's no telling what the resulting plants/flowers will look like, but if you can tell what the pollen donor was, then you can guess. For example, if there are p. caerulea in the area, then you might come out with something similar to Myles Irvine's "Star of Bristol" (below link) or "Star of Bristol."

In any event, the resulting flowers from your seed ought to be very cool indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star of Bristol

o

Yes there are....
But they are the Blue one and Not 'Constance Eliott' So who know's what I'll get.... Fun this is.... LOL

o

Hey all!
P.Amethyst will set fruit by the dozens if it has a suitable pollinator (Caerulea, "constance eliott" etc) mine set a ton of fruit this year and almost all were full of seeds! keeping them in the fridge until spring ready for sowing ^^
CAC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here