Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Lutea or Suberosa?

mboston_gw
17 years ago

I am in a debate (friendly though) with another Butterfly gardener over the plants that we have. Could someone post pictures side by side of Lutea and Suberosa and explain how to tell the difference in the leaves especially. It doesn't really matter which we have as they are good for our butterfly friends but I think it is Suberosa and he thinks it is Lutea.

Comments (11)

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey!!
    Here I think you will find a significant differece (from what I found..LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutea

• chena
    17 years ago

I just recieved a Lutea ..I hope mine is as pretty as the pic is..
    Blessings!!
    Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: Suberosa

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmm... the plant that my son brought me from Butterfly World looks just like the one that is labelled Lutea but it was sold as Suberosa! The Suberosa in your picture has much more of a triangular shape and sharp points to the leaves than any I have in my yard. USF says that the Suberosa is actually an invasive weed in this area and so I would have thought that is what I have since it is everywhere here!

I'm more confused now than ever!

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey!!
    I have what I believe to be a Lutea( was sold as a Lutea).. the leaves are the same as the pic..It hasn't bloomed yet so I can't confirm that is ...
    Chena

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is my ???Passi with Gulf Frittarly cats

• karyn1
    17 years ago

They are such cool looking caterpillars. I have loads of passies and no Gulf Frits. At least my vines look great! lol
    Karyn

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

I've had the same confusion; one way I've heard to tell them apart (as suberosa has highly variable leaves) is that the older stems of suberosa get corky while lutea does not. I think there are other ways to tell, like the placement and number of nectaries on the leaves, but I don't know that offhand. I tried to buy some lutea from someone on eBay and I'm pretty sure it was suberosa as it had very corky stems, so beware of people trying to pass suberosa off as lutea.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ethane - A couple of uears ago I think I sent you some of what I thought was Lutea at the time and now think it probably was Suberosa. Mine have corky stems. I do find the two little bunps on each stem just below the leaf so whatever kind that is, that is what I have.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

Well then, I guess you owe me some lutea. :)

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

Now I am really confused. i thought I had suberosa, the old stem is really woody but the leaves look like Lutea. Definitely not pointy but look more like a duck foot. No flowers yet.

Chris

• hwylo
    16 years ago

We have a lot of P. lutea growing about wild in these parts. Actually, the photo w/ the caterpillars looks like suberosa to me, though hard to tell from the photo. The leaves in your photo appear to be shiny, and luteas are not, I think. Lutea's leaves are rounded, like some sort of stuffed animal footprint. I've also noticed they some times tend to be variegated, with light green splotches along the main artery. The flowers look great, if you've got a magnifying glass handy.

best wishes,
    e

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012