Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardiness report for edulis and vitifolia

Posted by wilmington_islander 9A/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 17:36

We've gotten down into the upper 20's 3 times in scarcely a week. An advective 27 degree night, with no damage, then 5 days later another 2dvective 27 degrees....this one killed most of the vitifolia, but I have hope that most of the base plant is alive. My p. edulis "purple possum" lost only the growing tips...and then only after the 28 degree with FROST. BTW, a "black knight" I had a few years ago took much more cold than the purple possum seems able to withstand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardiness report for edulis and vitifolia

We hit about 26 F (maybe 27 F) for several hours earlier this month. The temp was 28 F or below for about 5 hours, 32 F or below for 10 hours, and then quickly rose to 50 F in 3hrs after it hit bottom.

'Nancy Garrison' in the ground was only protected at the very base and showed some damage to mature leaves only. Interestingly, the growing tips appear to be unaffected, and it has put on new growth since then.

'Frederick' in a large pot was largely covered with plastic, and a possibly uncovered growing tip was completely killed. Some nearby more mature leaves were damaged.

Both plants later enjoyed an unusual week of seventy degree temperatures that soon followed.

Some P. edulis seedlings from grocery store fruit in a semi-protected spot (near 2 walls and a fence and under a bench) seem undamaged.

o

Glad you posted, MArk. I have a seedling @ 3 feet high that was completely unaffected as well...but the large mature plant lost the growing tips and about 20% of the leaves. I can't wait to check the fruit quality of the seedling!

o

I'm afraid this last round of cold will do the edulis in......but it only got down to 27......but for a long time!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here