Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvsparky

will passion vines grow in iowa?

mvsparky
19 years ago

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE FORM IOWA HAS GROWN THESE VINES AND WELL DO THEY GROW HERE. DO I HAVE TO BRING THEM IN OVER THE WINTER MONTHS? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED. THANKS

Comments (10)

• mgood4u
    19 years ago

I am new to GW and relatively new to gardening, however, I love passionflowers and have researched them a bit. From what I have read the hardiest of the PF is the Caerula--Blue Passion Flower. I believe it is hardy to z7-8. Even still, I am in z6 and I am going to try one out this year.
    For the more tender varieties, I will probably grow them on a trellis and overwinter inside. You may want to do this also since you are in z5.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

I would try P. Incarnata

• jimshy
    19 years ago

P. incarnata is "root hardy" in zone 5 -- the leaves and stems will die back, but resprout in late spring from the roots. Planting the vine against a south-facing wall and giving it a good mulch in the fall can all help it survive a mid-west winter.

Otherwise, you can grow any kind you want in a large pot and bring it inside, but they'll need a lot of light and humidity to do well during the winter.

Jim

P.S. Posting a message in all capitals is sort of like SHOUTING, so please just use regular letters! Thanks!

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

hmmm, how about p. lutea

• grammahony
    19 years ago

MVS I am in Nebraska, Z5. I grow them and bring them inside for the winter. So far they are doing okay.
    Leslie

• chills71
    19 years ago

I've got Lavender Lady, Incense and a red variety whose name I always forget here at home (indoors all winter) I have some leaf drop and sometimes fight spidermites, but they do fine (the red one has been going out and coming in for 4 years now).

At work I have an unknown (the seeds were acquired by my wife through ebay and it has never bloomed, going on four years too) and an edulis (from store bought fruit). Both are inside, will go outside when the weather behaves and are doing fine.

People stop by and ask to touch the Edulis all the time as they don't believe it can be real. It is 1-1/2 years old and also has not yet flowered. (but it does get stressed in my classroom)

As long as you can live with the plant looking sickly for a couple months and remember to water, they make due just fine indoors (for the winter).

~Chills

• Carola_MN
    19 years ago

I just received a J&P catalog which has Passiflora Incarnata that states in hardy to Z4. I saw the prior post on its hardiness in Z5, but is it really hardy in Z4. I would love love to have this plant. Will it gain some height even when dieback is to the crown?

• jxa44
    18 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of passion vines in their garden that they would be willing to share with me? (would like to see whole plants -- not just flowers. Looking for landscaping ideas.)

Thanx,

jxa44@yahoo.com

• ravenea_rivularis
    18 years ago

incarnata is an amazing plant. I planted one last year outside, and it's much bigger and more full this year than last, with numerous root sprouts (suckers or pups). Mine also has 2 fruits that are growing right now. Can't wait to taste them. P. Incarnata is listed by John Vanderplank as the hardiest passionflower, being able to withstand temperatures down to 25 below zero F. Even in the tropics, he says, this species dies back for the "winter." This would be the best choice for Iowa, but you'll want to get one started early in the year inside in a pot (like around March) so get some growth on it before you plant it oudoors. When you do, plant it in full sun and watch your watering for the first year. You don't want it to dry out, but at the same time, if you water it too much, this will discourage the plant from seeking it's own water source and sending down deep roots. Also, make sure to cover the roots with some mulch the first few year until the plant has established. Other than that, sit back and enjoy. Two great books are "Passionflowers" by John Vanderplank, and "Passiflora: Passionflowers of the World" by Torsten Ulmer and John Macdougal. Both are illustrated, and very informative. Good luck.
    ~derek

• Melissa Snyder
    3 years ago

Here's a picture of mine. I saw someone ask if anyone could post pictures for reference. This was last summer. I bought them about 8-10 inches high and they took off. Hoping they rooted well enough and come back this year. Located in Central

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm