Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxtropix

passiflora edulis surviving weeks of lows in the 20's

jaxtropix
14 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far the passionfruit I started from seed in summer is still looking good even though its been so cold. The new growth that's closest to the ground looks pretty healthy with no wilting, though the exposed tendril looks soggy. I'll provide pictures next time I get out to my mom's garden.

Comments (9)

• jaxtropix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a better list of how everything else did in case you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rainforest Garden: Hardiness list

• kayjones
    14 years ago

Jax, thanks for your blog - I had pretty much the same experience as you - I'm in Panama City, on the water. My Brugs look like duck soup, as do many other plants, but the exposed 5-year old Plumeria, sited on the east side of my brick house, just lost a few leaves.

• jaxtropix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Congrats on the plumeria! Mine is looking pretty mushy, though the philodendron "burle marx" seem fine just feet away. By the way, I checked on the passionfruit and its still doing good!

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Glad to hear you had such good luck. My edulis plants took a pretty heavy hit here in Cocoa, FL.
    Josh

• wilmington_islander
    14 years ago

with no frost...certain varieties ofedulis can take low 20 to mid 20's no problem...nancy garrison, black knight and purple possum have been grown by m for years ( alas I have none this year....they live about 3-4 years and then die of root rot od fungus in the fall. Mine were huge......50 feet or better for all but nancy garrison.

• passion4passies
    14 years ago

Well, my edulis made it, the leaves came off but there seems to be a green wick in the remaining stems of vines, so I'll know for sure in a week or so. My single actinia had to be cut to about a foot above earth, but already has new green leaf-buds starting. I covered both plants with sheets for the few nights the freeze warning was posted. We got to 27 degrees one night, and 29 to 32 degrees for several others, for a total of 4 nights. My regular 'maypop' passies weren't even phased, as I knew they'd be fine without cover.
    What I did find surprising was that my in-the-ground white easter lilies were just fine. I forgot to cover them the first night, and the young green plants (about 2 to 3 inches tall) were undazed. I covered them the next few evenings. They're great, not a bit frazzled by the drop in temps.
    My brugs were covered, and although one suffered, I know she'll come right back, and is already re-growing at about 6 inches from ground. The trunk is still green, and I'm hoping for re-sprout higher up so haven't cut.

• wilmington_islander
    14 years ago

again, they can take the cold, but not the frost....give them some overhead canopy and you'llbe fine

• kayef
    14 years ago

My native seems wilty (Chattanooga TN) but the hybrid may be lost. we had a week of single digit nights. I have a bunch of fruits with seed, but they were outside. (natives) Anyone have a guess as to if the seed will sprout if they froze that bad?

• wilmington_islander
    14 years ago

The native maypop can take down to 0...sometime below on well established patches.

Sponsored