Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lady margaret and miniata fruit?

Posted by passioncrazy florida (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 08 at 20:46

to anybody out there who might know is it possible for the lady margaret and miniata(red) to bear fruit...ive read on a couple of websites that they do but im not sure if they really do?also wondering if lady lavendar does...i know that insence does i have tons of fruit its only 1 year old....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lady margaret and miniata fruit?

Lady Margaret will set fruit with caerulea or incarnata pollen, but it's often hollow or with only a handful of seeds. If you're looking for edible fruit, you're out of luck, unfortunately.

o

thanx jblaschke...u are very helpful...not looking foredible fruit just seeds,now will lady maggie pollenate any passie?i tried to get pollen but got such a small amount very difficult.how about miniata?does that bear seed fruit?

o

I know for certain margaret & l. lady do, as i've caused it. I think with caerulea pollen, but I don't remember.
Margaret is useless as a pollinator though- At least mine was.

o

You can check out pictures of my 3-yr old P. miniata plant, flower and fruit(4weeks) on my flickr page, nagwagi2000, victor. Yes it is possible for P. miniata to bear fruit...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9789339@N03/

o

Check out updates of my P. miniata fruits and seeds, pics shown on my flickr link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9789339@N03/sets/72157604477108492/

o

Well, just to clarify matters, p. miniata is a full-fledged species formerly known as p. cocinnea. Which served as one of the parent plants (along with p. incarnata) that resulted in the popular Lady Margaret hybrid.

Lady Margaret doesn't produce pollen. It can't pollenate anything. It will bear fruit with occasionally viable seed when pollenated by p. caerulea, p. incarnata and p. vitifolia. Since p. vitifolia and p. miniata (coccinea) aver VERY closely related, and p. miniata is already a parent of Lady Margaret, I'd expect p. miniata pollen to induce fruiting on a Lady Margaret plant. I haven't seen that cross confirmed, but I think the odds would favor it.

Any resulting fruit is likely to be mostly hollow with only a few seeds, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here