Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora Caerulea transplant

Posted by bluesloth z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 1:28

Hello. I posted this in the vines forum before I noticed there was a passiflora one. Hopefully get a better response here.

So the house I am moving into has a scrawny little vine labeled Passiflora Caerula "clear skies". Probably been in the ground for one season. I have looked up some pictures and it looks like a beautiful plant.
The current location isn't the best and so I want to transplant it. From the info I found, seems that transplanting these from one location in the ground to another usually isn't a problem. But I am considering putting it in a container on my deck. So how tough are the roots? The soil it is in is very poor (clay). Will the Caerulea respond well to rinsing off the roots of the poor soil so I can plant it with proper container medium? Or are the roots too fragile or temperamental?

Any other tips for success? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora Caerulea transplant

"Clear Skies" is a tetraploid hybrid of p. caerulea, so the vines and flowers will actually be larger than the already-popular caerulea. It also won't produce fruit unless pollinated by another tetraploid variety--"normal" caerulea won't do it.

As for your questions: the soil shouldn't be an issue. Many passion flowers are adapted to poor soil conditions. I have caerulea, incarnata and Incense planted in my yard, which is heavy black clay, and they are thriving. Good drainage and lots of sunlight are more important. You're right in that they can usually be transplanted without much trauma. Don't be surprised if new plants pop up in the spot you've removed it from, however. Caerulea's one of the passis that will regrow from the roots after hard freezes, so it may well regrow after the removal of the parent plant--it just depends on how extensive a root system it has managed to develop over the past year. Good luck with it!

o

Thanks. I think I will go ahead an pot it up when I move in a couple of weeks.

The 2 foot vine looks kind of unhealthy. Do these handle being pruned down low well? Or will it do better left alone?

o

If the vine's only two feet long, then I wouldn't prune very heavily. Maybe 6 inches at the most, and try to keep the roots as intact as possible. You haven't said where it's planted, other than in clay. Is it getting enough sunlight? Is it too damp there/poorly drained? Those are the biggest factors that will set a passi back.

Good luck with it!

o

It is in a sunny location, but in a spot with poor drainage. Hopefully does better when I relocate it. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here