Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 10:03

Greetings,

I am so excited...I purchased seeds of the following passiflora:

Passiflora edulis 'Frederick'
Passiflora quadrangularis
Passiflora ligularis 'Grenadia'
Passiflora edulis v. flavicarpa
Passiflora molissima

I would really like to know the best method of growing on these seeds. I will be growing them in pots in my greenhouse.

I have a couple other unnamed variety growing but they do not set fruit. Thus, the reason I picked these in hopes of obtaining fruit.

Also, with these grow true to the seeds? I'm not very familiar with Passiflora and the various varieties available.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora from seed

I found some old posts that had great information in them regarding seed germination.

Thanks.

o

I've always had great outcomes by soaking the seeds over night in warm water before sowing them. There are some that are growing wild in a few spots on my property as well as on the far side of my neighbor's pond. These have not made many fruits. Those that have are always eaten by ants or other annoying bugs. I really don't put much care into these being as they grow in areas that have no choice to be mowed, & if you don't mow, then our yard becomes a hideous jungle. None have started to come out of their hibernation yet. This year I am going to try to take some cuttings to expand my passiflora wall. I haven't tried their fruit, so I am eager to have a nice yield. However, I am more into them for their unique flowers. They are beautiful & interesting to me.

o

Lullaby,

Thank you for the information. I did read that soaking them in water or something acidic like grapefruit or orange juice also works. I will be giving that a try as soon as my seeds arrive.

Thank you.

o

Also, I forgot to mention, some people scratch the side of the seeds before soaking. There are several things to be used for scarification. Sandpaper, knives, scissors, etc. Some do this, some don't. I, personally, have not seen a difference in germination rate between the two methods. That all comes down to preference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here