Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mph101

Passiflora nephrodes

MPH101
15 years ago

I am looking for some general information on Passiflora nephrodes. I can find little information on this particular species. A local (SW Gulf coastal Florida - zone 10a) nursery told me not to bother with this plant as it wasn't really good for this area, difficult. Though they offer many types of passiflora they don't grow this one.

Did locate a rooted cutting last year and put it into the ground during the high heat of summer with full sun into early afternoon. It was a bit slow to acclimate however by late summer (still hot day/night/humid) was doing well with first blooms. It took a break however with a unusually cool/cold winter it has once again begun to bloom nicely. Exposed to temperatures as low as about 32 a couple times but many nights in the 40 - 50 F temperature range and a lot of days in the upper 50's it seems to be putting forth a lot of new growth. Not sure if this is occurring because it prefers the cooler weather or the increasing amount of sunlight as we head towards spring.

So I'm not sure if I was told it is difficult here because it doesn't like heat or its not overall as vigorous as other plants this nursery sells.

The only other passionflowers I have blooming now are P. cocciena and P. x kewensis which always bloom in winter and not so much if at all in the summer.

I have found that unlike the 2 other species it is growing with it isn't bothered by leaf miners or spider mite even though it is intermingled with the other 2 which are highly vulnerable to mites.

Also understand that is difficult to take cuttings off of and maybe that is why the nursery doesn't mess with it.

To me they look similar to P. foetida in foliage and bloom structure. Judging from its leaf form I'm thinking it can take drier medium like P. foetida compared to some of the other forms I grow.

So far I've found it a good plant for my climate, and wasn't sure if it would tolerate the cold freezing temperatures or not.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz