Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora nephrodes

Posted by mph101 10a (stovehouse@earthlink.net) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 10:40

I am looking for some general information on Passiflora nephrodes. I can find little information on this particular species. A local (SW Gulf coastal Florida - zone 10a) nursery told me not to bother with this plant as it wasn't really good for this area, difficult. Though they offer many types of passiflora they don't grow this one.
Did locate a rooted cutting last year and put it into the ground during the high heat of summer with full sun into early afternoon. It was a bit slow to acclimate however by late summer (still hot day/night/humid) was doing well with first blooms. It took a break however with a unusually cool/cold winter it has once again begun to bloom nicely. Exposed to temperatures as low as about 32 a couple times but many nights in the 40 - 50 F temperature range and a lot of days in the upper 50's it seems to be putting forth a lot of new growth. Not sure if this is occurring because it prefers the cooler weather or the increasing amount of sunlight as we head towards spring.
So I'm not sure if I was told it is difficult here because it doesn't like heat or its not overall as vigorous as other plants this nursery sells.
The only other passionflowers I have blooming now are P. cocciena and P. x kewensis which always bloom in winter and not so much if at all in the summer.
I have found that unlike the 2 other species it is growing with it isn't bothered by leaf miners or spider mite even though it is intermingled with the other 2 which are highly vulnerable to mites.
Also understand that is difficult to take cuttings off of and maybe that is why the nursery doesn't mess with it.
To me they look similar to P. foetida in foliage and bloom structure. Judging from its leaf form I'm thinking it can take drier medium like P. foetida compared to some of the other forms I grow.
So far I've found it a good plant for my climate, and wasn't sure if it would tolerate the cold freezing temperatures or not.

Thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora nephrodes

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of nephrodes, but I don't see why it wouldn't make it in your area. I'd suggest planting one out, then taking some insurance cuttings from it just in case it doesn't make it through the winter.

Sadly, I've learned that nurseries are usually quite ignorant about passiflora. If they don't have it right then, it "won't do well" is a stock response.

o
RE: Passiflora nephrodes

Mike, I'll bet I live really close to you. You have described our exact winter, and am on Gulf coast and got the 32 degree weather, unusual but true, as you say. It killed off our entire ficus hedge, around a large yard. They are slowly returning from the base, but think we'll have to end up trimming off the older growth :(
Anyway, since we're so close I wouldn't mind doing some cuttings trades with you. I have only recently begun to learn more about passiflora, but am really falling for them hard.
I know I have p. amethyst, and the other I'm not sure, leaning towards a cross between vitifolia and coccines, which creates beautiful red flowers. I also have a florida
native, but it hasn't bloomed yet so waiting to identify.
If you like to swap some rooted cuttings, I'd be quite interested
:)
Nicci
email: ginodiavonti@gmail.com (my hubbies email)

www.pollywogsworldoffrogs.com
www.ginodiavonti.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here