Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

On the verge of spring?

jblaschke
16 years ago

This has been an unusually warm winter for me here in Central Texas. We've had freezing weather, sure, but nothing that lasted throughout the day. And February hasn't gotten close to the freezing mark more than once or twice for me. We can have freezes in mid-to-late March, but I don't think that's happening this year.

There's a redbud tree near my work that's starting to pop out those hot pink flowers they're known for. And the mountain laurels at work are heavy with buds ready to open any day now.

The kicker came last night, when I noticed my caerulea on the dog run fence sporting dozens of flower buds. Not just a few small ones, but some decent-sized ones that will be opening next week at the latest.

I'm not trying to taunt you folks up in cold-weather states, but... Wow. If it stays as warm as it's been lately, I could have maypops coming up any time now. That's just crazy!

Comments (8)

• rialira
    16 years ago

YOU. you get a hearty frown from this zone fiver! the temperature INSIDE my house hasn't risen above 60 degrees in months.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Yes, spring is about here in my area, too. The red maples have been blooming, as have the Carolina jessamines, my serviceberries, small-flowered pawpaw, and wild blueberries. Leaf buds are swollen on other plants, so they'll be making new growth soon. I've noticed new growth at the base of many of the plant in my garden that die back on the top in winter, so I plan to start cleaning out the garden tomorrow.
    My new passis have all started to make new growth except my p. amethystina - hopefully, it'll make leaves soon, too.
    Sherry

• angie83
    16 years ago

I sure hope it is here I have planted alot of my vines outside its just beautiful here and I think winter is over but the mesqutoes are ganna be really bad this year with no cold to kill them off.All my lemons are budding up all trees around except pecan so sure hope we dont get any crazy weather here no more freezes please.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Indeed, spring has sprung! I've discovered new sprouts for my Texas Giant and Georgia incarnata, as well as fresh green shoots for my p. affinis and p. foetida var. gossypiifolia. Wow. I've never seen them come up in February before. No sign of the Inspiration yet, though.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wouldn't you know it? I've got passis sprouting and plum trees blooming, so last night we have a freeze. I spent much of the evening moving my potted passis into the garage and covering the exposed ones out in the yard with hay (was to be bedding for the dogs, but they've got enough for now).

It's supposed to get near freezing again tonight. Talk about weather to drive you insane!

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I did the same thing. Fortunately, it's supposed to be warm again day after tomorrow, so I'll soon be lugging the pots back outside!
    Sherry

• rialira
    16 years ago

you guys are lucky. the high tomorrow's going to be 27 here.

• lileecoi
    16 years ago

Every Year I try to convince my husband that we should move a little farther south.

Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbors Zone