Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

How much light do they need? This much.

Krstofer
18 years ago

So I have several tropical passi's grown from seed I purchased from Mauro Peixoto in Brazil.

The problem? It's 43 outside right now.

The solution? Bring 'em inside.

{{gwi:1125515}}

In that pot is one biflora, surrounded by a bunch of friends in little 4" square pots. There's 2 herbertiana, a rubra, an actina, and a mucronata. All happily growing beneath one 22 watt circline fluorescent. They do get a *tiny* bit of supplimental light through a window to the right of the pot.. But it faces north so there's not much.

Now sure they're not putting on "explosive" growth or something, but they're alive. And the set-up was $8 for the light, $2 for the socket and $0.99 for the little extention cord. (the bamboo stick holding the light was free.) I have 'em on a timer with 16 on 8 off.. So I use 0.35 kilo-watt hours a day keelin' them alive. (for comparison, this computer uses 9 KWH a day. )

Not bad for 11 bucks huh?

I'm not terribly excited about de-tangling everyone come spring and adventures to the outside.. But hey they're alive.

Oh yeah~> What's with the chicken-wire? I have four pigmy australian land-otters (I also live in California where such things are ... Prohibited) who *Really* like to "help" me repot things. And since I'd rather not do any transplanting at the moment....

Comments (4)