Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations / Best blooming for indoors

Posted by Eric55 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 11:13

Hi,
I've got an 800 watt grow light and I am looking for recommendations for Passifloras that will do well indoors.

My favorite colored blooms are the deep blues and deep purples.

I was thinking of planting these two varieties (passiflora 'Incense' & passiflora 'Sunburst') in the same pot so there would be a mix of bloom colors. Has anyone mixed two varieties in one pot before? The links show the two varieties.

To see passiflora 'Incense' go to:

http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/59/1842.htm?643

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Here is a link that might be useful: passiflora 'Sunburst'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations / Best blooming for indoors

Wow an 800? I had a 1000w halide but it was way too big for the size of my little grow-room... So I got a 400 MH & a 400 HPS and I now run them 8 H, 8 HPS, 8 dark. I have (somewhere around) 250 ~> 400 seedlings inder them.

I did build a light mover for the 1000 halide (pictures here) but the heat from the bulb melted the PVC pipe I used for the rail causing it to bend & the machine to stop moving.

No, i'm not growing "dope", even though this is California & I am in a wheelchair... That stuff just isn't worth it. It is possible to learn quite a bit from the counter-culture publications however.

Anyway, if I had a better light- mover my setup would be much more efficiant... Maybe I'll build one this summer.

800 watts is WAY more than enough for growing whatever you want. I've got 2 sunbursts under my lights who are quite happy- Untill now I've only managed to kill them. With your 800 you could grow several small trees. (I have several 400 watt halide ballasts and a home-brew 'Build your own reflector' instruction manual I'm working on if you have some plants for trade) 400 watts is more than enough for me, and frankly more than I want to pay to Pacific Gas & Extortion to keep running for too long each day, hence the 'on 16 dark 8' schedule I have them on. WHen I had the 1000 watt going I was spending a couple bucks a day, now I'm down to pocket change. Still adds up just not as fast. I look at the setup I have now as 1 extra computer running 24/7 instead of money flying from my pocket.
But I digress.

Like I said, with 800 watts of light to put something under you can grow whatever you want. It's all about distance from the bulb, (they get quite hot) automated watering, (recirculating pump on a weekly timer?) and watching for insect infestations. Spider-mites LOVE grow-rooms.

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 17:20

I actually would not go with an Incense for two reasons -- first, being an incarnata hybrid, they may need more of a winter chill and dormancy than you can provide indoors, and second, some clones are prone to death by virus attacks (got this from Vanderplank's website -- anyone with first hand info?).

Also, I'd avoid mixing two robust vines in the same pot -- they'll start fighting over root space really, really quick -- you're better off with two pots right next to each other, and with that big HID light, you've got the growing room.

I'd try:

alato-caerulea
amythyst
blue haze
Jeanette

for easy care and long blooming seasons.

If you have limited room, try p. standleyi -- it's leaves flush purple in high light, and its flowers, tho small, are purple too. I'll post a pic in a week or so when I get blooms again.

Jim

o

Eric do you really think you need a special light for them? I have these two growing in a North facing window and they bloomed all winter for me.
I believe the one is Lady Margaret and the other is a Caerula.

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 17, 05 at 22:14

Incense sulked and attracted every spider mite in Mi this winter. Its alive and growing, but unhappy. The red one, I can never recall its name, doesn't sulk, but doesn't flower for me til just before I take them outside in the spring. Incarnata, don't get me started, it grows, it dies, it resprouts, it dies...

My best passionflower indoors is Lavender Lady. Grows well, no big problems (drops leaves, but replaces them pretty regularily) and IT FLOWERS!!

I don't use any lights though.

~Chills

o

I have 20+ varieties. I grow incense, caerulea (white and purple/white), and incarnata in the ground. Incense is my favorite because of the fragrance an is covered in blooms from early spring until frost. The rest are in pots. Of the ones in pots the most free flowering are Lavender Lady, Lady Margaret, Foetida and Blue Bouquet. The rest seem to have a blooming season. Blooms either in the spring or fall but not all summer.

Patsy

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 11:18

Jackie o -- I'm amazed!! Does your window get any reflected light from nearby buildings or snow during winter? It looks like a very bright window! good growing!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here