Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. Foetida Pot Question

Posted by ninecrow Midlands, England (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 11:22

What pot size do you guys Recomend for Windowsill growing? I'm growing for Fruit, would a 7 inch pot be OK or should I go bigger? It's in an 3 inch at the moment

I REALLY would like to get this Right this time, as my last one Died on me.
Thanks
NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. Foetida Pot Question

I'd be inclined to go a little bigger. If yours is anything like my p. foetida var. gossypiifolia, the thing can get *huge*. I've got one in a 12-inch hanging basket, and it seems to do fine, if unspectacularly. But the one I have in the ground, wow, it's simply insane, sending out runners, suckers, hundreds of flowers... An unruly plant, yes, but a very pretty one!

o

Thanks jblaschke
Hope all is well your end

o

All is well, ninecrow. Has that dwarf incarnata survived your winter thus far?

o

No.... *Sigh* It was OK one Day the Next it was gone, Limp and by the afternoon it was dead...*Sigh*
Dunno what I Did Wrong...... I'm Still Peveved about it!

o

Well, huh. Sorry to hear about that. I wish I could offer a suggestion, but I've never tried keeping an incarnata indoors.

o

I had some foetidas in 4 & 6" pots and they bloomed and fruited well but they were young plants, under a year old and were outside over the summer. Unfortunately they froze when the power went out in the GH over the winter.

o

I've got one in a 12-inch hanging basket, and it seems to do fine, if unspectacularly. But the one I have in the ground, wow, it's simply insane, sending out runners, suckers, hundreds of flowers.

Lisa11

o

I've just Repotted mine as He's Growing like a Gang Buster!
He's Not Quite 5 foot ALL Ready....
I REALLY Hope he Continues to grow like he is...
PLEASE send some ***Grow Well Vibes*** This way
Thanks All

o

o

Lisa is yours in the ground now or do you dig it up for the winter? I've never heard of a cold hardy foetida. My passies do much better inground but it's always such a pain to dig the non cold hardy ones up in the fall. Ninecrow good luck. I'm glad the foetida blooms so fast from seed because I lost all of mine during the greenhouse freeze over New Years. BTW the fruit isn't bad, it's just so little. I did manage to save my Palmeri Sublancelata x foetida plants that I started last year. They're about 8' and would be longer but I have them inside and have to keep cutting them back. I can't wait until it's warm enough to take everything outside.

o

My foetida var. gossypiifolia barely died back this winter in zone 8, although it's only native through zone 9. I suspect it'd do okay throughout zone 8. Unsure about anything cooler, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here