Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Incense Swallowtail

jblaschke
17 years ago

I've uploaded a pic to the galleries all you passiflora-obsessed folks might enjoy. I took it back in October, if I recall correctly. The black swallowtail really stood out, considering I usually only get Gulf fritilaries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Incense Swallowtail

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

That's a beautiful photo. It's funny that you want black swallowtails and are loaded with gulf frits. It's just the opposite for me. I have loads of black swallowtails (and monarchs) but no gulf frits. Send some of your butterflies up to me! Here's a pic of some monarchs on a passie that I took last summer.
    Karyn

• chena
    17 years ago

WOW!!! Great pic's ya'll.. I am getting Spring Fever...LOL Yep... it is snowing outside right now.... I have just recieved a bunch of Passi seed ...Let me know if you are looking for anything special..I might be able t help you out..

Chena

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's not that I want black swallowtails in particular--it's just that they're somewhat uncommon. The Gulf Frits are crazy common, and the vines will be covered with their cats (oddly enough, the first year I planted the Incense--my first passi--I didn't see any. Then in the second year, BOOM! All over the place. :-). Occasionally, I'll see a Flambeau (Dryas julia), which are somewhat more intense in color than the Gulf Frits. And every other year or so, the monarchs' migration path will take them through here as well. I've just been surprised at how more species aren't attracted to the blossoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flambeau

• karyn1
    17 years ago

That's beautiful also. I've noticed a huge decrease in the numbers and varieties of butterflies in this area over the past decade. It's a shame. I'm in a fairly rural area even though I'm only about 15 miles outside of DC. There's mostly farms and I'm surrounded on 3 sides by a nature center so it's not like there's much development in the immediate area or pesticide use. At least we still have what seems to be a healthy monarch population.
    Karyn

• angie83
    17 years ago

I have dozens of swallowtail cocoons on my fence this one will hatch tomorrow ill try to get a pic.
    {{gwi:453550}}

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Unless I raise caterpillars inside I can never find their chrysalises but I do come across sphinx moth pupas fairly often when I'm digging in the yard.
    Karyn

• chena
    17 years ago

We have raised several Black Swallowtails in the house.. We have a Praying Mantis pod inside to see if it will produce.. Then of course there is always the baby grasshoppers I have in the spring from outside pots... I hate those guys!!!LOL..
    Chena

Sponsored