Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txsmitty

growing Passiflora Alata from seed

txsmitty
18 years ago

Hi all- last year was my first year growing Passiflora and I am hooked! I grew a gorgeous Lady Margaret and have a few cuttings that I have saved from that plant for this year. These cuttings were fairly difficult to get going and I have read that this is the simplest form of propagation for Passiflora. I recently bought some seeds for a gorgeous red Alata, and am hopeful that it will not be too difficult to get them germinated and transplanted successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (7)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

P alata are difficult (slow)to germinate. I have been told they can take up to 2 years. I have had them range from 2 mos to a year. I usually soak mine in o.j. in a dixie cup on a heat mat for 2 days then soak in warm water for a day. Then plant in peat pot in little greenhouse on a heat mat with a grow light on during the day, off at night. I had good success this year germinating all the passiflora seeds that I tried. I was trying to sprout banana seeds at the same time, which need the temperatures to be varied. So the heat mat was turned up and down and low and behold it worked great on the passiflora seedlings as well :). Hope this helps, GL
    ~SJN

• texkiwi
    18 years ago

I bought 6 seeds which I placed in a cup then added hot water. Let them soak there for 24 hrs before taking each one out and placing it in a small pot with Miracle Grow Soil. Gently soaked the soild. As it was summer, placed them in the shed [well ventilated and lots of natural light] but out of the direct sun. Four out of six germinated within a short space of time i.e. definitely within a month. I have planted 3 outside early fall and all started climbing the fence nicely. Still have one in a large pot in the shed.
    Cath

• cuban007
    11 years ago

Is there any place selling this plant? I tried Annie's Annuals but their web site says "Not in Production".

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Dogwooderitternet, an Ebay seller, usually has some. You can also check Grassy Knolls. If neither of them hs it do a Google search for Alata "Ruby Glow". You can check an online vendor's feedback on gardenwatchdog.

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

Actually, if you are in California, and P. alata 'Ruby Glow' is OK (technically it's Passiflora phoenicia) you might check the nurseries under both P. phoenicia and 'Ruby Glow'. They should have it somewhere. It will probably be pretty cheap ($10-$20) in a 1 gallon, maybe a lot more in a 5 gallon ($30-$50). It's a fast-growing vine, so I would go for 1 gallon if you can find it. Just call/email the nurseries with the best selection of interesting plants.

Or, many nurseries can special order from San Marcos Growers. It's not on their available list at the moment, but P. 'Purple Tiger' is. That hybrid is: Passiflora phoenicea 'Ruby Glow' x P. quadrangularis

Here is a link that might be useful: P. Phoenica (P. alata 'Ruby Glow') at San Marcos Growers

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

I forgot that I had this picture. This is Passiflora 'Purple Tiger', 1 gallon pots for $9.99 back in July at ProBuild Nursery in Santa Cruz. This is the same nursery that sold me P. loefgrenii and P. actinia, plants from Annie's Annuals, in 4 inch pots for $4 each. I don't have room for a monster like the 'Purple Tiger', but I was tempeted because the plants are so beautiful.

• copain97
    9 years ago

I bought mine from a Nursery in Fallbrook. They offer seeds & plants of certify P. alata and not hybrid seeds. Hybrid seeds can produce plants of any type. Rarely they will be true to the specie.

Patrice

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting