Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie83_gw

Rubra ( zombie apple)Question

angie83
17 years ago

Hi Has anyone grown these passifloras saw some seeds and not sure about them cant find out to much on them .If anyone has pic would love to see them on this passi also if anyone knows are they hard to grow from seeds.

Rubra (zombie apple)

Comments (11)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Someone's been selling this on eBay recently. The Ulmer & MacDougal book says its a rewarding, free flowering species closely related to p. citrina and p. sanguinolenta. It's in the Decaloba supersection, section Xerogona, and as such has capsular fruit that isn't recommended for human consumption. Hope that helps!

• chena
    17 years ago

Angie.. Here is a link to some info and plants to purchase..I have an order pending from this place.. I have read alot of good things about them but I haven't seen their plants yet...
    Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knolls

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

I can vouch for grassy knoll's passies. I ordered 3 from them a few years ago and got the most beautiful passiflora that I have ever recieved in mail order. They were packed nicely in peanuts and already vining. I also ordered from them this year. They have so many gorgeous ones this year who could resist? lol I hope they are just as nice this time. I may even order some more ;P Another place to order online is Logees or Kartuz Greenhouse. Last year I found some nice ones at Walmart and Home Deopot as well.
    ~SJN

• chena
    17 years ago

OMG!!!!! I can not believe you can buy plants like that at WM HD or LO's... You are lucky to find a live plant at any of those places come summer round here...LOL..The only decent Greenhouse closed doors last yr.. If I didn't LOVE Texas so much I would I'd be gone!!!! Chena

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Chena you can't buy plants like that at the HD's around here either. Very few of the speciality nurseries even carry flowering exotics. There's a nursery in Rosenberg, Texas that I buy from often. They ship some of the most beautiful plants I've ever received through the mail. They do carry a fair amount of passies also. It's called Caldwell Nursey http://caldwellhort.com/html/contact.html
    Karyn

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow rosenberg I love that little town go there alot .Ill have to stop in there and look .I also love wildseed farms in frederickburg tx.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Angie take a look at their website. They have butterfly gardens and are open to the public. If I lived near them I'd love to take a look. They shipped me a platyloba, citrina and another that I don't remember last summer. The vines were well branched and well wrapped, as was the rootball and it was at least 6 feet long! I've never received such large plants through the mail! I also got a pregnant onion that was the size of a small melon. I love the plants they send.
    Karyn

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im going wednesday they closed on sunday its pretty close I go to rosenberg alot to get the best barbque ever.I cant wait I love to go to nursey hope they have some neat passifloras and maybe some hollyhock or butterfly weed.Ill let you know how it goes .

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'm jealous, not only because you live so near to it but also that it's warm enough to go out. It hasn't been much above 20 here for the past 2 weeks! I'd love to know how it goes.
    Karyn

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow went today it is huge 6 acres it was cold today too .I got 5 passion flowers plants.They have every kind of plant for butterflys you could want but it was so cold today couldnt take it Ill go back when it warms up a bit its so big it will take a whole day to see it all.Very nice people too showed me around and helped me find every thing I wanted.Was so much fun so glad you told me about this place.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could see it. The people that work there are so nice & helpful and all I've done is place orders by phone and online.
    Karyn

Sponsored