Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie83_gw

Question on foetida

angie83
17 years ago

Is the a diffence between plain (Foetida) and the other called (Love in the Mist Foetida) are they the same or a cross breed.

Comments (9)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Officially, there is only one species of foetida, since they can all cross readily and have fertile offspring. But since there's so much morphological diversity, there are many, many subspecies or varieties (50 or so at last count). The popular and common p. foetida var. hirsuta is easily differentiated from p. foetida var. gossypifolia, for example, even though they share many common characteristics. So there is, technically, no "plain" foetida. Gossypifolia is native to south Texas (I've actually been trying to get some for the past year, with little luck), so that might be your "plain" foetida. I may be wrong, since I've never grown them myself, but hirsuta flowers have strongly defined pink and white bands on the corona, gossypifolia are a less defined pink and Love in a Mist is mostly white with some pink. There are other varieties that are mostly white and some tending toward blue and purple. For what it's worth.

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thx so much now it kinda makes sence why some seeds are so much higher in price than others let me know if you find the Gossypifolia for south texas Id like to have one too.I really need to go to the book store and read up on passiflora there is so much more to know about them.

• msbatt
    17 years ago

I have a seed-grown foetida that I *think* is the hirsuta---it's VERY hairy, and has quite strong-defined pink versus white bands. I have several rooted cuttings available it anyone's interested in trading. It's failed to produce any fertile seeds, and i would be very interested in acquiring a different clone to cross it with.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Angie, the only place I've see Gossypifolia listed for sale semi-locally is Texas Madrone Nursery in San Marcos. I've gotten conflicting reports from them, however. Last year they told me they'd sold all their stock the previous year and didn't carry it anymore. I emailed them a few weeks back, and they told me they'd sold out in a week last spring to butterfly gardeners. !? So I still can't get a straight answer from them, although it's still listed on their website.

We usually make a beach trip or two down to Port Aransas in the summer, so I'm hoping to get a chance to poke around some nurseries there (and maybe in Corpus) and see if any turn up. It's an attractive flower, and as a native, I know it'll grow here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Madrone Nursery

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Theres is a few seeds on ebay they call them belly ach seeds (gossypifolia)are these the same they dont really look like passifloras much.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Angie83, no, that's "Jatropha gossypifolia" a different plant entirely. What you want is "Passiflora foetida var. gossypifolia." The species and variety names can be reused with plants from different families, so you always want to make sure that "passion flower" or some variation is in the description you're reading before bidding.

• costaricafinca
    17 years ago

I had a P. foetida or so I thought until I read these postings. I keep searching the area where I found the small plant with no luck so far. Maybe someone can giv me the correct species.

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow those are so pretty do they smell good.They so tiny cant wait till mine sprout.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

costaricafinca, that is indeed a p. foetida variety. The feathery bracts surrounding the flower bud is the defining characteristic of this plant. Very, very nice. You're lucky to have them growing wild in your area.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia