Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can my passiflora edulus vines be dying?

Posted by jmamelia 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 20:37

We planted 4 young vines 4 1/2 years ago to create a beautiful luscious hedge for our organic garden. The plants have been prolific up until a few weeks ago. There is brown leaves and the green leaves are all wilted. They are getting enough water on drip, but it looks like they're starved for water. We have had some weird weather...cold, hot, cold, hot, but I'm in San Diego. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can my passiflora edulus vines be dying?

It is stress, dropping a few leaves because of the cold more than likely. They don't like anything below 50 degrees depending on the specific plant, perhaps even 60 degrees. If it warms up, you should see new growth. I see you've been down around low 40's, so the weather is probably the culprit. I can't say for positive, but my "small" edulis have weathered low 40's in pots, so I suspect your large vine will recover. Good luck.

o

my incarnata died last year during the summer
i never found out what it was, but it must have been a virus or something like that.
the leaves wilted just like this one. it started in one spot, and went to the whole plant.
i had another one about 20ft away that never had a problem, actually, that one took off and got huge.
if it did get cold enough , and was wet for an extended period, it could be root-rot ?
that will make it look like it is not getting enough water, but thats just because it has no roots to absorb it.

o

We have decided to take these out and try something new. Will solarize the soil as suggested. Thanks for all the great feedback!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here