ralfsmom

how do you germinate you seed?

ralfsmom
16 years ago

i have bought some passie seed and need to know the best method. thanks delores

Comments (11)

• angie83
    16 years ago

I soak 3 days in water but find that if ya nick seeds you can get mold so I dont nick I have had great luck with the aerogrow system too.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

I've read that the outer hull casings of passiflora seeds aren't impermeable to water/air, so there's no need to abrade the outer surface. It gives no advantage, and like Angie says, can lead to mold problems.

I generally soak mine a couple of days and plant in a moist potting soil/peat mixture. I keep them moist and warm and well-lit. Sometimes they'll sprout within a week or so, other times it takes months. Passis are funny that way.

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

I've soaked 'em in OJ for a few days, seems to work well.
    The best way tho is keep 'em warm & moist... And wait. Some have taken over a year for me. By then I lost the tag(s).. Sigh.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

If the seeds are fresh I don't use any pretreatment. I soak older seeds in an acidic liquid like citrus juice. I use bottom heat for all varieties. I've had some seeds germinate in about a week and others that have taken almost a year. I've had passies pop up in containers of other plants because I'd given up on them and had recycled the soil.
    Karyn

• cyumickey
    16 years ago

I tried to start some seeds last year, but they never popped up. My dog has since taken the cups and strewn them and the dirt all over the yard...will I have renegade passis popping up somewhere? If so, how can I identify them?

• angie83
    16 years ago

Fresh seeds are a must makes all the difference I soak 3 days then plant and it works great .Also I have a aero grow machine it makes germination very fast.

• louisianamark
    16 years ago

What is an aero grow machine?

• grammahony
    16 years ago

I put some seeds in some Af. Violet soil in a little plastic cup. (the ones you get to take home dressing/sauce from the restaurants in). I watered a little. Then I put those cups inside a plastic baggie and folded the end shut and taped it, and set them on top of my coffee maker (Bunn). The front lifts up to pour the water in, but the back part of it is flat. It's always warm there. It's been a week now, and they've sprouted. Now hopefully they'll continue to grow, when I put them into a larger cup/pot.
    I got them to sprout, now I need some advice as what to do next, and when.
    TIA
    Leslie

• angie83
    16 years ago

Lousisianmark here is a site for the aero grow machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: aerogrow

• louisianamark
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link angie83.

Has anyone out there used this device to germinate difficult seeds, like kerminsina and loefgreni?

Thanks!
    Mark

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Hi Mark
    I have not used this device but have got both kermesina and loefgrenii to germinate. These will both germinate readily if you use heat and fresh wet seed from the fruit - once the seed has dried out though germination percentages drop right down. See the link below for quite a bit on seed germination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora seed germination

Sponsored