Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbin

Anyone know where I can find Passiflora lutea?...

gbin
19 years ago

This yellow passionflower is supposed to be native to about the eastern 1/3 of TX - which is why I'd like to add it to my wildscape here in the DFW area - but I've been totally unable to find it around here. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Gerry

Comments (16)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Hard to find in nurseries..and its hard to spot in the wild. I was lucky enough to have some natives on my lot.

• gbin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Lucky, indeed! I was similarly lucky enough to have native coral honeysuckle and Mexican plum naturally occurring on my lot (as well as a stand of 32 post oaks, but we picked this place because of them so it wasn't exactly luck :^] ), but no passionflowers. I've recently given nature a helping hand by planting Maypop (P. incarnata), though, and I'd really love to add P. lutea to the mix, too! Hopefully someone will be able to suggest where I might find some.

Or might you have a youngster or two you'd be willing to share with me? Whether yes or no, might you have any pictures of your plants to share with us here? At least then I can enjoy them vicariously through you! :^]

Gerry

P.S. I apparently don't receive e-mail sent to me through GardenWeb, though I don't know why, so don't try to send me pictures that way. And to those who already have my e-mail address (which I will readily provide to any who ask for it), please don't send me pictures that way, either; as much as I would enjoy receiving them, I am actually using an old computer and long-distance dial-up service for e-mail at present, so it ends up costing me quite a bit when folks send me large messages.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    19 years ago

I have some lutea vines that I would be willing to trade for other passiflora, or express interest and let me know what you have to trade.
    Ethane

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

I'll post pics soon...it isn't awake yet but my edulis and caerulea are going nuts!

• gbin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ethane, I'd be delighted to trade with you but I don't know what I could give you in return. I literally only began gardening within the last couple of months, and excepting what was growing naturally on our property when we moved in (I don't suppose you'd be interested in some post oak seedlings? I've got lots of those this spring, and it seems a shame to just pull and mow them. :^] ) all I have are the few plants that others have given me to help me get started and the even fewer that I have bought. My one (so far still quite small) passionflower vine, a Maypop (Passiflora incarnata), is one of the latter. Maybe I could promise you a future something or other?...

I appreciate your kind offer, in any event.

Gerry

• angiebeagles
    19 years ago

Gerry,

I live in Austin, and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center will have their plant sale next Friday, April 8 (members), everyone else saturday the 9th.

I cna't say whether they'll have it this year or not, but they had it last year. I was behind the lady that got the last one.

Sigh.

But, the passiflora affinis i got there (i hope) has JUST come back (leaves aren't quite big enuf yet), and teh passiflora foetida has also come back, all over the place! THat's fine, i'll be running around making little trellis (es) to put over each little sprout.

Angie

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Angie-What color is your foetida? I have a light purple one and have been wondering if it would be safe to plant it in the ground. I understood it was a z9-10. I have not been successful with Eudlis, Lady Margaret, Vitiflorea nor Lavender Lady in the ground. Good to hear that some foetida might be ok. I am a bit north of you.

Patsy

• gbin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's a great suggestion, Angie! Unfortunately I won't be able to get down to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center next weekend for their sale. I've been trying to plan another trip to the TX Hill Country with my wife, and I'd love to include the Center in the travel itinerary in any event, but it looks like the soonest that could happen is more than a week later. Probably we'll miss an awful lot of the bloom because of the delay, too. Aargh!

Say, if you will be attending the sale and happen to reach the P. lutea a bit earlier this time, perhaps you could pick up a specimen for me as well as however many for yourself? (No P. affinis for me, though.) I would repay you, of course, and consider myself as owing you a great debt besides!

It occurs to me that I might even be able to return the favor the following weekend. I'm planning to attend the Heard Museum's (McKinney) native plant sale then, and perhaps there will be something there that you would like me to pick up for you. If so I'd be delighted! I've been told that they don't necessarily have all of the plants on their advertised list (see pdf link below for list) and as in Austin things tend to go quickly - which is why I plan to become a member so I can go to the sale's opening night :^] - but I can give it my best try, anyway! Why don't you look over the list and see if anything catches your eye?

If you're interested in this idea, let's take it to e-mail. I don't get e-mail sent to me through GardenWeb for some unknown reason, but you can contact me directly at the address below.

Gerry
    gbin@zoo.ufl.edu

Here is a link that might be useful: Heard Museum native plant sale list

• angiebeagles
    19 years ago

Patsy- it's pink-y white. I have a picture, but not with me right now, it was no where no way no kind of purple. Light pink, w/ white. I'll try to find my pic tonite for ya. I'm so glad it came back, it sent 2 suckers last fall, and i dug them up, one survived, so i have him also, and he's rooted. If you're interested.

Gbin- i already told my boss i'm taking a 2 hour lunch on friday! THer'es a HUGE long line at noon when they open. (little does he know i'll be lucky to get thru there in 3 hours!)

I'll email you.

Angie

• angiebeagles
    19 years ago

your question Patsy.

Both of my native passifloras came back this year. Both died off at the first freeze, or shortly thereafter, but they both came back from teh roots. Outside. We had about 2 days where it hovered right around freezing, day & nite, and several nites with a freeze/frost (April 1 was, hopefully, the last). The careula never died. It stayed green, no new growth, but only lost a few leaves to the frost. Let me tell you, it was so nice to go outside and see all that green on the trellis. Very glad i planted that.

Don't know exactly wehre you're at, i'm around/abouts Austin, but out in the country, not in the city.

Angie

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Angie I am a bit north of you. My Constance Elliot (white Caerulea) and purple Caerula are both blooming. This is after loosing many of my tomato plants to a freeze a couple of weeks ago and frost on Saturday. They are completely evergreen for me. I suppose if we had 10 degree weather for a week or so they will die back but so far for the past several years this has not happened. My incarnata (native) and incense are now coming back from the roots.

I too live in the country and up on a hill where we get all the cold winds. No windbreaks protect my gardens.

Patsy

• Ethane Zizyphus
    19 years ago

So I said I have some p. lutea, but I'm wondering if it is. I bought it from a woman who was getting rid of it, and she had bought it as lutea, but I'm wondering if it is suberosa. The leaves are pointier than you usually see of lutea, and the older parts of the vine are corky. Does anyone know if lutea stems get corky with age? Or do I have suberosa? It hasn't flowered yet, which will be a determining factor, but the stem makes me doubt it being lutea.

Assuming it's not lutea, then I have some suberosa up for trade...

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

lutea or suberosa... email me and maybe we can trade :)

Dc

• gbin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SCORE!!!

I became a member of the Heard Museum in McKinney just so I could go to the members-only first day of their native plant sale, which was today. I got there hours before the sale began - which still only put me fifth in line! - with my wish list in hand; Passiflora lutea was at the very top of my list, but I didn't have much hope of finding any because the species hadn't appeared on the Heard's pre-sale list (impressive as their list was!). I raced to the vine section first and began my search.

And there they were! All the Heard had of the species were tiny plants in 4" pots for $2.50 apiece, but that was just fine with me! I got lots of other neat stuff, too.

Thanks very much to the GWers who suggested I check into that sale! It definitely lived up to its billing. It's definitely not for the faint-of-heart, though; there was a time or two I was afraid I was going to be trampled to death by crowds of people who were apparently far more "rabid" fans of native plants (or were at least considerably less gentile) than I!

Woo hoo!

Gerry

• Linda_8B
    19 years ago

Congrats! It's so nice when Texans actually get a chance to use the native plants that have been plowed under and bulldozed into oblivion for years. I have P. lutea plants, but they don't exactly thrive very well here in my Hill Country area. They stay really small and don't bloom a lot. P. affinis does better, but last year the caterpillars really stripped it! My P. foetida has always come back every year and has spread even to areas outside my yard. Wish it didn't spread like that, but the Gulf Fritillaries like it, and their little caterpillars are already here this year. Speaking of caterpillars, I just found out yesterday that the Barbados Cherry I have is a host plant to the White-Patched Skipper. It's now rapidly being defoliated by the caterpillars! Good thing I like butterflies!

• gbin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

> ... It's now rapidly being defoliated by the caterpillars! Good thing I like butterflies!

Indeed, that's just a sign of success to a wildscaper, isn't it? :^] May my new plants enjoy similar attention (preferably after they've become established)!

Gerry

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor