Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie with questions...

Posted by iselacb z10/sCA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 05 at 1:29

I recently found out I have this vine growing on the side of my house. I love the red flowers and think they are so beautiful and exotic! But I have no idea how to take care of it. It is really overgrown and growing all over the place. Many of the leaves are turning brown and flowers are only blooming way up high, and it's just messy and brown at eye level. What should I do to maintain and care for the plant? Is there a way to make the flowers bloom on the older/lower vines? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated for this very needy newbie! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie with questions...

Sounds like it's happy so keep doing what your doing.

i believe they only throw flowers on new growth, so the solution would be to carefully trim it back a bit. You can go in and remove all the dead stuff right now, then just clip it back some- it will sprout new growth from the older vines you leave, Might be a good time to train it onto something as well.

o
RE: Newbie with questions...

It sounds like you have a clematis - they are stunning. Clematis require different styles of pruning depending on what kind of clematis you own. But you can worry about that after you get more experience. Brown leaves are easy to tug and pull off, then you should be able to see the new growth on main vines.

Enjoy your vine, they are very beautiful. p.s.- my passion flower vine is blooming so I share your admiration!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here