Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gawdly

How sun-tolerant are Passiflora?

gawdly
19 years ago

I have a spot where I want to put a passiflora vine, but I'm unsure of the sun-tolerance of them. It would be on a west-facing wall, so it would get a goodly amount of sun during the latter half of the day.

Thanks.

Sam

Comments (5)

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

Most all of mine do best in full blasting hurt-your-eyes sun. They grow the fastest, have the greenest leaves & throw the most flowers. Those in part to full shade appear more & more anemic the darker it gets.

I've found though they need to be introduced to the sunny locations slowly or there's a chance of frying leaves.

• gawdly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THat's exactly what I was told today when I picked them up. I got 2 Edulis 'Frederick' Passiflora today and they said to acclimate them for about a week before planting.

So tomorrow I start getting them acclimated to their new spot an hour at a time.

I'm so excited!

Sam

• cherryirene
    19 years ago

I agree that they take a lot of sun. I grew an unknown variety from seed and just stuck it on the north side of the greenhouse . It climbed to the top (southern exposure) where it started to go wild. It was blooming and dividing and wow!

• gawdly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow.

Well, I planted them this weekend. It was a few days earlier than I had planned on doing it and they only had 3 days at my location in the shade before I did so. The weather was perfect that day and the following 2 days however, so I decided to bite the bullet and plant them so I didn't have to do it on a very sunny and warm day.

There was some new growth on the vines that bit the dust unfortunately, and the vines we bought were a horribly tangled mess. So I tied them up to our trellises and we'll see what comes of it.

I'd like to give them a healthy shot of fertilizer, but I'm not sure if that is adviseable or not. They were obviously in a growth phase when we bought them, but will a nice does of Nitrogen lead to no flowers this year?

THanks!

Sam

• jimshy
    19 years ago

Go easy on the fertilizer, especially if their roots have been disturbed recently.

If you don't see buds forming on new shoots in a month or so, a light dose of blossom booster may help, but these guys take off pretty quickly once the settle in, given lots of sun and sufficient water.

Jim

Sponsored