Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leolia_gw

Massachusetts newbie seeks variety advice

leolia
16 years ago

Hello! I'm a newbie to passiflora, and have been so intrigued by them. I was flipping through a catalog with my family, and we got to the passiflora page and our jaw all dropped - "whoa, we HAVE to get some of these" we all agreed! I've always loved passion fruit, so I'd love varities that fruit.

I'd be so appreciative of any advice as to which kinds to choose. I'd like to plant 2 different kinds, for variety of color. I was thinking I'd plant them in a pot in the ground (for ease of moving indoors under lights for winter). It would be at the base of an 8' iron fence in partial sun.

I've read a lot about Maypop, but would be concerned about it running out of control. I've seen some photos of it taking over the house! Would the pot contain it, or my zone 6 winters kill any runners it sends out? I think I'd prefer a less

Also, any recommended sources would be great. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

They are beautiful flowers. I grow several but have limited knowledge about the plants. I wouldn't worry about P incarnata (Maypop) becoming uncontrollable in your zone if it was growing inground. I'm not even sure that it will survive your winter. In a pot, even if sunk, they are very easy to keep in bounds and runners shouldn't be a problem. Another variety that's beautiful and very easy to grow with pleasant fruit is the vitifolia. It's not a hardy variety temp wise but can withstand almost any abuse. It has a gorgeous red flower that's about 4" across and the fruit is pretty as well but I don't know if the pollen between the two varieties can pollinate each other. There's a bunch of folks here that are very knowledgeable and I'm sure they'll give you advise on what to plant. There's a few mail order nurseries that sell nice plants, Grassy Knoll, Zone 9 Tropicals and Caldwell Nursery are a few that I've been very happy with. There's also some reliable Ebay sellers that I've bought from, Georgiavines, dogwooderitternet and impower56.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

With in-ground pots brought in over the winter, you might as well go with edulis, which is the commercial passion fruit producer. There are many varieties available, or, if you're willing to wait a year or so for flowers and fruit, you can simply plant seeds taken from a passion fruit bought at the store.

Incarnata fruit isn't bad by any means, but edulis is far superior.

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

If you are going to bring them in for the winter you can grow almost anything. I have... Oh I don't know, (guessing) 50 some here in Oregon where as far as I've seen only caerulea will survive the winter unprotected.
    I doubt anything will survive those Mass. winters- roots left in the ground or not.

The problem you will have is this: Inside under lights they will go crazy. Trust me. The bigger ones such as quadrangularis might take over your entire house. Medium ones like caerulea or vitifolia will give it a pretty good try..
    Little ones like biflora & sanguinolenta are manageable if you cut them back. Here's my front window:

{{gwi:1126026}}

I've cut them back.. 3 or 4 times & as you can see.. Almost time to do it again.

In the 'plant room' I have the rest.. It's going to take me a few days to de-tangle everyone when it comes time to put them out. They've done pretty well under 2 400 watt lights- one halide & one sodium, both on timers so each shines 8 hours a day. I've seen them flower & even fruit in there.

So. I'd grow the little ones unless you have a greenhouse or something for the winter. If you have any of the passiflora books look for the decaloba sub genus- They're the small ones.

As for where to get them, I've a bunch of sites (not updated for a while unfortunately) at the bottom here.

Hmmm... Grassy knoll exotic plants popps to mind as well- Really good place, many varieties, reasonable prices & decent sized plants.

• chills71
    16 years ago

My collection is not as extensive as Krstofer's, but I bring a number of them in each winter as well. I don't put them under lights in the winter, just in an unused room with a south facing window. I don't have the problem of rampant growth all winter long. By this time of year, though, I do have some vigorous growth on a couple (lavender lady and incense).

Incense bloomed earlier in the spring, Lavender lady is blooming now. Vitifolia limps along, right now it is re-growing leaves.

In later spring I'll put them outside and they will take off within a week or two.

~Chills

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Hi im not sure where in Mass you are but, I buy them here in RI and in Mass at several of the nurseries. I take mine in for the winter, and the one greenhouse said to cut them wayyy back before you bring them in, and they will flower better the next season, and this is what I have done for the last five years. I dont use lights or anything, they slow down growing until about March, and then start to take off again.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Duh! I can be such a dolt sometimes! I have a "dwarf incarnata" that only grows 6'-8' or so. It's well-suited for growing in a container. I can dig you up a runner if you'll spring for postage.

• rialira
    16 years ago

jblaschke, do you think I could get in on some runner action, too? lol. I'm always trying to expand my collection. I just landed a job at geek squad so I can actually pay for postage now! lol

Ria

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

Leolia,
    I have passiflora incarnata (maypop) in the ground here in north-central Utah and it comes back every year around June, sometimes July. It does spread, and it likes to pop up little sprouts as it does so, but I wouldn't say it's unmanageable. You just pull 'em up when you see them, or you could put them in a pot to control spreading. Passiflora caerulea (Blue Crown Passion flower) is also very hardy, I don't know if it's zone 6 hardy as I haven't left them out in the winter, but probably zone 7. Anything else you'll probably want to bring in. In fact, anything you bring in will flower sooner next year, as I said the maypops may not even show their faces until July. As well as don't let the roots get too wet as that's how I usually end up killing them in the winter.

Sponsored