Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora caerulea question

Posted by bruggirl z9FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 8:27

Forgive me if I've already asked this. If I did, I forgot to tick the box to get my answer in my email. I'm in zone 9b/10a. I was recently given a p. caerulea on a trellis. I need to know if it needs sun or shade in this area, and if anyone has actually eaten the fruit. I read that it isn't very flavorful.

I'm using it to replace an edulis that was killed by hurricane Charley. Not for the fruit, especially, but for something that blooms more prolifically.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora caerulea question

It adores sun and water and will flower much more than edulis, over a longer period of time. Fruit is indeed sort of bland, but "tropically so".

o

Do you have a picture of the Passiflora Caerulea (Blue Crown) passion flower. I just planted two of them and need to know what they look like.

Thanks, Leubafr

o

o

I just bought my first passion flower vine today and this is the one I got. I was told it was fairly hardy. I'm in zone 7B. Do you think it will fair okay if I plant it on a trellis close to my house??? Any advice would be appreciated! Thx

o

Plant it against the south sid eof your house, if you can. This may keep it evergreen for you,,,otherwise, with a good solid winter mulch, you ought to be fine.

o

I am in zone 8 but out in the country on a hill so I get a little colder than in town. I have both the purple and white caeruleas. They have been evergreen for me for the past several years. I have seen them with ice hanging from the buds and still be fine. Mine do not get mulched and are not protected by anything. I am already blessed with open flowers as well as vines completely covered in buds.

Patsy

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll plant on the south side of my house. I'm looking forward to enjoying this beauty for a long time!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here