Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gastone21

New to passifloras. Questions and pics.

gastone21 (z7a VA)
13 years ago

I've become quite smitten with passifloras. I picked up 5 last year. 2 of them arrived in so so shape and I wasn't able to save them. I planted a caerulea in the ground adjacent to a small fence. It quickly settled in, grew and bloomed nicely.

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/brewsters34/Garden%202010/DSC_0017.jpg[/IMG]

These also bloomed for me. My labels mysteriously disappeared and I didn't have enough foresight to notate which passies I had. So they are alive... just don't know what they are.

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/brewsters34/Garden%202010/DSC_0019.jpg[/IMG]

and

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/brewsters34/Garden%202010/DSC_0099.jpg[/IMG]

In my infinite wisdom (and without my wife's knowledge), I went to Grassy Knoll Exotics and ordered a bunch of passies. Then off to Amazon and ordered Passiflora: Passionflowers of the World,

I live in Zone 7 VA. Hot, humid summers. My plan is to pot up the new passies in a fast draining gritty mix. Proved a fence, grate or trellis in a sunny location. Should I sink the pots in the ground to help disipate heat? Of the ones listed, are any suitable for part sun?

Passiflora 'Blue Velvet

Passiflora 'Lady Margaret'

Passiflora 'Manta

Passiflora 'Panda'

Passiflora 'Preciosa'

Passiflora 'Sunburst'

Passiflora colinvauxii

TIA

Garrett.

Comments (9)

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not sure why my links are broken.

• jblaschke
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum. The first unknown passi is the hybrid "Lady Margaret" and the second is p. vitifolia. Lady Margaret is a hybrid of p. incarnata and p. coccinea.

Manta and Sunburst are hybrids of the decaloba type. Their flowers are very small. Sunburst's blooms stink like mothballs. Those small decalobas may well do better in partial shade than the others, as decalobas are more of an understory plant.

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jblaschke,

thanks for the help. I figured out how to post pics on this forum.

Since I already have a Lady Margaret (thanks for the ID btw), I e-mailed Elizabeth at GK and asked her to replace it with a p. edulis "frederick".

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Lady Margaret and P. edulis Frederick look nothing alike if that was a concern. I think that Lady Margaret is one of the only reds that aren't toxic to caterpillars.

I find that the passies that are sunk in the garden do better then the ones that are in containers above ground. When I sink a plant that I plan on digging up in the fall I cover the bottom drainage holes and cut new holes in the sides of the pot. This makes it easier to slice the roots that have grown outside of the pot with a sharp spade when lifting them.

You might want to locate your Sunburst a bit of a distance from where you sit outside. It supposedly had nasty smelling flowers. Honestly I've had it for years and have never found the blooms particularly offensive but that might just be me because most people can't stand it's smell.

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Karyn,

the concern with the Lady Margaret was that I already have one... and I ordered another from GK. Silly me. So I asked Elizabeth to change my order (she is very easy to deal with btw).

I sunk my amaryllids, hibiscus, strelitzia reginae in the garden using the method you described. Glad to see that I can also do it with the passies.

I thought about placing the Sunburst far away from the house, but I've got a nice place right by the front porch. It doesn't get as much sun and jblaschke said that decalobas would be a better option in partial sun. Too boot I've got an awful sense of smell. (I hope).

Garrett.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Hopefully your sense of smell is more like mine and you won't be bothered by it. Sunburst is one of my favorites. Even though the blooms are small the colors are so bright and there's so many blooms open at the same time. I also think that the foliage is very attractive. This is one that I cut back to about 4" before moving it in the fall and I keep it trimmed over the winter. It grows very fast once it's back outside in the spring. I cut them back because GH space is limited. If you don't have to cut them that's all the better but if you do it's quick to recover. I get plenty of fruit naturally and thru hand pollination but they've always been empty. Not sure why.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Of your plants, here is the order as to how sun much they should have and/or tolerate, from most to least. Obviously, this is just based on our experience...

Passiflora 'Blue Velvet' - I don't think it is possible to give this one too much sun!
    Passiflora caerulea
    Passiflora vitifolia
    Passiflora 'Lady Margaret'
    Passiflora 'Preciosa' - heat is not an issue, but leaves can scald with too much afternoon sun.
    Passiflora 'Panda' - this one is new for us, so I am unsure as to the placement. It could easily take more.

Passiflora 'Sunburst' - we grow in morning sun only, but can tolerate more.
    Passiflora 'Manta' - get shadier, burns easily.
    Passiflora colinvauxii - can bloom even in shade, but a little morning sun is okay.

I hope this helps!
    Eric

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eric,

thanks for all of the suggestions. I've got a small city lot, so placement is key.

Of course, it snowed here yesterday. It's almost April... and we live south of the mason dixon line. Not in New England. Two weeks ago we had records highs in the 80's. Yesterday the low was in the 20's.

Blah.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Gastone I'm near you in Montgomery Co., MD and we had the same weather. I'm so sick of this. It was in the 20's when I got up this morning. It was too cold to even bother going down to the Tidal Basin over the weekend. It would be nice to just have average temps around 50 already.

Sponsored