Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikipatio

Propagation question- from cuttings

tikipatio
19 years ago

Over the winter I had the lack of garden blues and went kind of overboard starting seeds in the kitchen (they took over!) I attempted to propagate a few passiflora from cuttings and had mixed results so I decided to focus on what was doing well and try again during warmer weather (which is now- it'll be in the 80s this week!) I'll be picking tomatoes within about 2 weeks but the last of the passiflora got pushed to the back and neglected.

One is in my favorite 50s pink McCoy planter and I thought I'd use the planter for something else so I tipped it on it's side to get the soil out- and it has roots. Now, it's basically a brownish green stick with roots. it lost all of it's leaves.

Is it magically going to sent out shoots from the leaf nodes, will something come out of the ground or is it just going to remain a stick with roots and I'd be better off just trying again? It's a reather thick stick- it may be a Granadilla, which I'd hate to give up on if there's a possibility of something happening with it.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Comments (3)

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

I had a couple (I thought) die this winter- nothing but a 'brown stick' above ground. I was sure they were deceased... And I was a little bummed.

The weather warmed up for a bit (and dropped back to the 50's with rain, but..) & all the sudden I had green shoots everywhere. Some from the 'stick' & some from the ground.

'Cource they're all ones who have lost their tags, so I have no idea what kind they are. Check your stick- scratch it with a fingernail & see if you can find wet living materiel in there... Or if it's dead all the way through. If it is there's still a possibility it will regrow from the roots- I moved a bunch of them last fall.. They had rooted through the bottom of the pot & I had to tear the pot loose from the ground. This spring there's lots of little shoots where the pots had been.

Last year I made a cloning box that was quite successfull- This year I decided to start a bunch of seeds and like you they've taken over the entire room. Now I've got to do the seedling juggle untill it warms up enough outside (again) & I can do something with them.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

I looked over your clone box and decided to 'dumb it down' into what I am calling MiniClone 1.0, incase there are improvements. My MC is simply cuttings, in peat pellets, in a big plastic sandwich bag. a straw connects it to a container of yeast/sugar/water.

Also, how must I go about starting passiflora seeds?? I have heard many methods but what is your way of doing it. I have a few seeds that I REEEEEAAALLLY want to get going, because I might never find them again(passiflora arida, passiflora 'waterlily'), but I don't want to kill them!

Also, back on the cutting topic, after succesfully killing two tri-pointed passiflora caerulea cuttings, my plant has produced three more!!! If I root them, does anyone wnt one?

THanks,
    Dc

• think1-garden_usa_net
    16 years ago

Passiflora arida is invasive at least in Arizona.
    It has been misidentified as Passiflora foetida. Yup, even at plant sales where they know a whole lot. But recent articles should be straightening this out.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/edits/documents/Passariz.d.pdf
    excerpt:
    "AIDS TO IDENTIFICATION: Passiflora arizonica is the only Passiflora found in Arizona with a lilac-colored corona and pinnatifid stipules. It is easy to distinguish from a commonly confused naturalized (and invasive) species of Passiflora in Arizona, P. arida. P. arida lacks the obvious glandular trichomes that are so abundant in P. arizonica, and generally has more numerous, longer and narrower leaf lobes than P. arizonica."

Note that Passiflora foetida variety arizonica has been recently reclassified as Passiflora arizonica. A real nice plant and I'm told the fruits taste good.

More on recent reclassification and invasiveness at
    http://www.cababstractsplus.org/google/abstract.asp?AcNo=20043057022
    "Abstract: Two species of Passiflora in Arizona (USA) and northwestern Mexico are investigated. One species, P. arida, native to Baja California and Sonora, has recently been found to be naturalizing in southern Arizona. Another, P. foetida var. arizonica, native to southern Arizona and Sonora, is examined for taxonomic distinctiveness and raised to a new species, Passiflora arizonica. These two species are compared to each other, the potential threat of weediness in P. arida is reviewed, and the distinctive features of the biology of P. arizonica are discussed. Furthermore, comparisons are made with several other related New World Passiflora species of similar geographic range or morphology."

Here is a link that might be useful: AZ Native Passionflowers from AZ Game & Fish

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor