Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. caerulea from seed

Posted by idloveamocha 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 10:08

I was drawn in by the beautiful flower picture on a seed website, and bought a packet of P. caerulea seeds.

I knicked them and soaked them overnight, then sowed them per package instructions, which was 5 weeks ago. I know that it's still too early to tell if anything will germinate.

However, after reading some of the posts in this forum, I wonder if I should even bother waiting for them to germinate (IF they germinate at all). It seems that these vines do not flower the first year?

If that is true, then I probably shouldn't attempt it. There is no way that it can overwinter here, and we don't have an indoor area where I could keep the vines. So, if I start from seed, whatever plants that may grow will die in one season.

Thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. caerulea from seed

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 9:35

First, don't nick the seeds next time. I understand it never helps and can only hurt.

Are you sure you can't find any way to overwinter anything? I don't live in a climate with severe winters, but I understand there are creative ways to keep them that minimizes space and light requirements. Perhaps someone else can elaborate. Or perhaps you have zero possible space for any plant inside...

If you can't keep anything at all inside, there are a couple possibilities that come to mind:

1) Passiflora foetida will grow, bloom and fruit in one year, I'm told. I don't know if this works given the length of your growing season. You may be able to find seeds for postage or trade. Otherwise, you should be able to find viable seeds on Ebay. Looking at what's for sale right now, I would go with either the seller "where*the*wild*things*grow" or the seller "passiflorista" although others may also have viable seeds.

2) Get seeds or plants/rooted cuttings of a variety of P. incarnata that will grow in zone 5b, assuming that you can plant things in the ground. I'm not sure what a good source of those would be; perhaps others know. Not all varieties of P. incarnata are that hardy, and not all sellers will be honest (or knowledgeable) about hardiness. It's best to get them from a plant already growing in zone 5 for that reason.

3) Get cuttings or rooted cuttings of something that will bloom the first year and treat it as an annual. I'm not sure what would work, or what a good source would be. There are some like this where one can simply take cuttings in the Fall and bring them inside and repeat the next year. Cuttings would take less room inside than a mature plant. There are probably a number of species/hybrids that would work with this approach.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here