Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberlynn1986

new to passion flowers

amberlynn1986
10 years ago

hi! i love to grow and garden, and i am newly coming off of a addiction to hoyas. i say comming off of a addiction because i still LOVE them but they dont love me, or the lack of moisture in the house during the winter so i have thrown in the towel on them. i am however wanting to move my passion to passion flowers. every mothers day i get to pick out some nice plants, either house plants or outdoor ones and every day at our local nursery i see BEAUTIFUL baskets of passion flower but for some reason i never end up getting one and then i find myslef mad that i didnt get one, lol. is there anything anyone can tell me about passion flowers that i might need to know before i start collecting? i will be growing them as house plants since i live in upstate new york. thank you very much for any info you want to pass my way!

Comments (2)

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Amber,

I would first emphasize that I only propagate Passifloras inside, and grow them long-term outside.

My impression is that in general, Hoyas should be better indoor plants than Passifloras. Passifloras have: higher light needs (on average), higher water needs (on average), and the typically thin leaves (in contrast to semi-succulent Hoyas) suggests that they would not be happy with low humidity. However, I know that there are people who grow them exclusively as houseplants.

If you do a search through the archives for "houseplant" or "indoors" you'll find discussions of which plants people have succeeded with indoors. I'll give a link at the bottom to a thread that is among the better ones.

One plant mentioned in that thread that I would have recommended is Passiflora 'Manta'. Great leaves, cool flowers, small overall size, and leaves more leathery than most. In general, I think it would make sense to give a lot of the smaller Decalobas a good look. If you go to the Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants site and check out the Decalobas that will give you a good start. P. sanguinolenta and P. murucuja would be among those to consider. I'm sure Elizabeth at Grassy Knoll would be happy to suggest varieties that might be particularly suited to indoors. She has made it particularly painless to ask questions by clicking the "contact us" tab on the right side of her pages.

Another one that people seem to bloom indoors with some frequency is P. 'Amethyst' (aka 'Lavender Lady'). The one time I had a rooted cutting bloom on a windowsill it was that one. It appears maybe also 'Lady Margaret' or related hybrids also can bloom inside. These last two strike me as the sort you might be more likely to find at a garden center there. I could be wrong...

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on Passifloras recommended as houseplants

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Amber,

This could be a very effective way of getting started.

I noticed that the "daily deal" for today, April 1st at Grassy Knoll is 3 plants for $14, normally $35 (for what would be $45 worth of plants). She picks, but my understanding is you can give preferences. I would expect preferences such as plants to grow indoors and/or Decalobas (or I imagine not Decalobas...) would be honored. You would have to ask Elizabeth to be sure.

This of course would be today only, and I imagine shipping for 3 plants could be as much or more than the actual plant price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daily deal at Grassy Knoll

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz