Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crosstitching

Found a Corky Passion growing in the yard

CrosStitching
10 years ago

I was out under the oak tree in my yard yesterday digging up
some Violet oxalis to fill a hanging basket on my porch when I noticed a vine growing near it. I've been learning about caterpillar host plants and the nursery I live near (Rockledge Gardens) has a large butterfly house with many plants. One of them was labeled as a passionvine and was loaded with Gulf Fritillary and Zebra Longwing caterpillars. So I purchased a Blue Bouquet Passion vine for the garden but then after doing more research learned it may not actually host the caterpillars as it is a hybrid (I think).
So, I noticed the vine in my yard looked remarkably like the single-lobed-leaf variety of passion vine in the butterfly house, and mine had a dark purple fruit along with many green fruits. The vine isn't large, maybe 3ft with a little bit of corky growth at it's base and only two other very small vines growing from the root. I am 95% sure it is a Passiflora Suberosa and only need to see some flowers on it to confirm for certain.
When I was trying to find the roots to dig it up and move it to my sunny butterfly garden, I accidently pulled the vine up without getting much roots. It looks like it must have been growing on the surface mostly and only had a 6"ish size woody main root, but few if any fine root hairs coming off the root. I hurried it over to my garden and buried the main root and several bottom inches of the vine, watered it, and wrapped the vines around the little decorative fence in the garden. I checked it this morning and it looks ok and isn't wilted.

Is there anything I can/should do to encourage root growth? I have powdered rooting hormone and a miracle grow liquid fertilizer made for transplanting. Does it need compost rich soil? I'm in Brevard County, FL and we have sandy soil. The area I planted it in has been "cultivated" by my chickens and had some aged manure spread in their along with the cedar chip bedding and amended with bagged topsoil a while ago, but should I add more compost?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio