Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perezjuanf

Peroxide & water mixture

perezjuanf
11 years ago

I have read that soaking seeds in a mixture of peroxide and water speeds the germination process.

I just tried the following mixture for some passiflora seeds

9 cc of water & 3 cc of Peroxide (a 3 to 1 mixture) after 5 hours I planted the seeds and placed them in a greenhouse how soon should I see the first sprouts (ball park figure)

Thanks

Comments (4)

• desertmikey
    10 years ago

I soak passiflora seeds in 5 percent hydrogen peroxide for about 20 minutes; then, rinse with warm water and soak in water for 2-3 days additional, changing the water each day. This seems to help germination (and also kills any fungus spores that might be present on the seed coats). However, passiflora seeds are still rather slow to germinate and can also be erratic in germination. I'm currently growing Passiflora racemosa from seed. Three seeds germinated within about two weeks; however, the remainder of the seeds I sowed (about 30) have not yet germinated after four weeks. Passiflora seeds can take up to close to one year to germinate, depending upon the species; so, be patient!

• desertmikey
    10 years ago

An update to my last post here. In total, 18 out of 30 Passiflora racemosa seeds germinated following the peroxide + water pre-sowing treatment (not bad for this species). Of the first 3 seeds that germinated, one plant began blooming in August (quite unusual to bloom that early, I think). The other two that first germinated have not yet bloomed. All the plants are quite healthy, but some exhibited signs of chlorosis early on (not unusual in this species), treated successfully with iron chelates. I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where the climate is not unlike this species' native Brazil, which could be one reason for my success with what is usually considered a difficult species.

• desertmikey
    10 years ago

An update to my last post here. In total, 18 out of 30 Passiflora racemosa seeds germinated following the peroxide + water pre-sowing treatment (not bad for this species). Of the first 3 seeds that germinated, one plant began blooming in August (quite unusual to bloom that early, I think). The other two that first germinated have not yet bloomed. All the plants are quite healthy, but some exhibited signs of chlorosis early on (not unusual in this species), treated successfully with iron chelates. I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where the climate is not unlike this species' native Brazil, which could be one reason for my success with what is usually considered a difficult species.

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

How are they looking today? Any more come up?

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures