Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

trading

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Have a few rooted Passiflora Betty Myles Young in 9oz cups for trade for other passiflora I don't have.

I have p.Caerulea
p. edulis
p.Manta
p.sanguelenta
p. Lavender Lady
p. Loefrengi x Caerulea
p.vitifolia
p.mollisima
p.suberosa
p.racemosa x racemosa "Buzios"

Darren

Comments (11)

• Desirai
    11 years ago

I have p. lutea seeds I harvested off of a lutea growing in my backyard

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desirai,

Any chance you could take some cuttings instead?

Darren

• Desirai
    11 years ago

I could try, I don't know much about doing cuttings

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desirai,

Cuttings are easy. Basically you cut off a piece of the plant, say a foot or so long. It needs at least two nodes in it, a node being where the leaves attach, so two sets of leaves. Cut below the bottom node probably halfway between the leaves. Depending on the plant this foot long section may have two or three cuttings in it.

The packaging is the most important part. Wet but not dripping wet paper towel is wrapped around the bottom of the cutting and then the whole thing is put into a large plastic zip baggie. Put in a padded envelope and off it goes, 1st class so it doesn't spend too long in the mail.

The advantage to growing a plant from a cutting is that it will bloom faster, many plants won't bloom the first season when grown from seed but will from a cutting.

Darren

Here is a link that might be useful: Packing Tips for Cuttings

• Desirai
    11 years ago

Well, could I take a cutting from it now or should I wait until spring? It's all tangled up and climbing around a brier bush. (maybe it will strangle it to death..)

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desirai, if it is green and looks healthy there is no reason you couldn't take a cutting. All these vines grow fairly quickly and taking a few cuttings will not hurt it unless it is a new plant.

Darren

• piksi_hk
    11 years ago

Darren, do you have rooted P. vitifolia? I've been wanting one for quite a while.

I have the P. cearulea (it's a monster!) It's taken over part of my yard and my neighbor's. I chopped it down but their are suckers! And I still have one on the other side of the yard.

I will be pruning my Hibiscus schizopetalus. Do you want a cutting for the P. vitifolia? I also have the variegated hibiscus which I can take cuttings.
    I've tried rooting passiflora but have not suceeded, but have with the hibiscus.

• piksi_hk
    11 years ago

Darren,
    I'm also interested in the P. mollisima & P. manta & P. sanguelenta.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, send me an email, you have none listed.

Darren

• piksi_hk
    11 years ago

Darren, I sent you email; and enabled GW mail.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just read the last part of one of your messages, I missed the part about P. mollisima & P. manta & P. sanguelenta. These are all new plants for me, the molisima is just a seedling a few inches tall at most, the manta is about a foot tall. The sanguelenta is growing now, perhaps in a month or two, it is not fast like some other passiflora, at least not at this point :-)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!