Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rydinfly

dry, yellow leaves

RydinFly
13 years ago

I have a few variaties of passi's. A couple leaves slowly started turning yellow. spots of yellow appeared first and the the whole leave turn bright yellow. I also have dry tendrils and the tendrils have been losing their color too. the leaves are sometimes dry, a lil brittle. i tried raising the humidity but they havent improved. what am i doing wrong? any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• nickisking
    13 years ago

hello,

dont worry of the humidity. as im sure thats not the problem. list your temps, amount of sun it gets, wwhat are they planted in, how often do you water, or use fertilizer?

five reasons leaves might yellow.
    one- it is to cold or to hot.
    two-plant doesnt get or gets to much light.
    three-plants need new soil or nutrience
    four-plants are being over watered or under watered.
    five- plant has a passiflora sickness which WILL killplant.

please disscribe this better and answer my questions so i can help better. thanks

• RydinFly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're kept around 72 degrees mostly while under a 60w plant light. Between 11am -4pm they receive a southern facing window whose temp reached 90 degrees yesterday. In the evening I put a humidity lid over them. They r in a soil/sand mix. I don't water often cause the soil stays moist from the humidity lid. I fertilized it once with a 2-3-1 solution. The new growth appears fine. The vines has grown at least 6 inches in the last month. Like I said the tendrils r dry n have turn tan n they have lost their springy -ness.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Could you post a picture or two?

• RydinFly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How do I post a pic on this site?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

You can use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Picassa. I use Photobucket. If you want instructions on how to post pics from PB send me an email.

BTW many of my passies that are stored in the greenhouse and inside over the winter suffer some die back, yellowed foliage and some dried stems, but they all put out healthy new growth and catch up pretty quickly once they are back outside when it warms up. Actually they've already begun putting out new growth by this time even though they aren't outside yet. If the new growth comes in healthy and remains healthy as it matures you are probably alright and I wouldn't worry. Good luck.

• RydinFly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

first sign of discoloration- yellow spots

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1126129}}

• RydinFly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

leaf fully yellow. the leaf has 1 point. the other leaf has 2 points. they're from the same plant. why is this happening?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• RydinFly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

3 points on leaf- same plant

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The foliage appears chlorotic. I haven't seen that on my passies but I have on other plants and it's usually a sign of a mineral deficiency, specifically magnesium and/or calcium. I use a product called Cal-Mag Plus. I also use Pro-Tek by Dyna Gro which contains potassium and silicon. If you have a hydroponics store nearby you should be able to find them there or you can buy them online. If you don't want to try those you could give the plant a dose of epsom salts, 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water. Regular old ES that you can get at the drug store. It should help green it up if it's a magnesium deficiency. Even if that's not the cause of the yellowing it won't hurt the plant. The epsom salts can be given 1x/mo.

Sponsored