Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerstin_linnea

passi for midwest

Kerstin_Linnea
19 years ago

Hi all, I am looking trough previous postings and don't seem to find any answer to my q's.

I'd like hear hear from people in a similar or same region as me...

I live in a apt with mainly western exposure, a large baywindow, and a staircase that is protected (has a skylight too), but unheated.

My current passi, is right now out there on a break,she is setting out new growth and I am debating for how much longer before she comes back to the l-room, it is a regular Passi white with a purple cross.

quite beautiful.

However , no fragrance and only blooms in summer- she also tends to get real large fast (I am cutting her down before winterrest) and therefore a bit overwhelming-not to mention the messiness of this gal!!

What I am looking for is one who is easy to induce to bloom during the winter time, meaning anyting from dec trough march. I got two ways to grow them, either full daylight and heat altrough the year, or less light and some cool time.

Please clearly state which is which, and if possible, match selection with logees inventory as I am already placing a large order with them (shipping is a killer and this shall be my only order this year)

I also want to avoid a plant that sputters away for a couple of years in a 2in pot,once summer comes, it's going out in dappled shade and won't get much more attention than my other houseplants in highseason (oh yes did I mention that my present passi does real well, not neglected just not being doted over)

Fragrance is very important, But ease of care and bloomtime is even more so, I'd like to try something different than the caerula ( which I think is what I have?)

I am very partial to the citrina but like the elisabeth too.

what about the macrocarpa? Logees states that It is easy to grow and bloom and it has a fragrance...?

I am a bit weary of nurseies comments as they tend to look at the bright side of things...to say the least.

-and that's were my fellow gwebbers come in.

I shall follow your word!

What would the best fertiliser be for setting buds? Brand , number combinations, anything...?

Fact check: I have been told that passis won't flower unless they have 6hrs of sunlight . Is this true?

Thank You !

KLk

Comments (2)