Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Source for true Amethyst?

jblaschke
18 years ago

The nurseries around here sell so many Lavender Ladies that I don't trust any of them as having actual Amethyst (most have the other name in parenthesis anyway). And several online sellers replied to my inquiries that Lavender Lady and Amethyst was the same thing. sigh.

If it were just for show, I'd just go over to Lowes and pick up the nice, flowering Lavender Lady for $6 I saw yesterday. But I want a fertile plant, and that means Amethyst. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• sdluthier
    18 years ago

Hi jblaschke-

There seem to be several pretty knowledgable P. growers on ebay-if you enter 'passiflora vine' or 'passiflora plant' in the search, you can then go their ebay store to see what they offer, or contact them directly. I've seen P. Amethyst there quite often, but don't know exactly what they are selling.

Peter

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay passiflora

• zostropz
    17 years ago

Are you sure your looking for Amethyst and not Amethystina? Amethyst really doesn't produce fruit and if and when you do have luck doing so, they are usually empty. Amethystina on the other hand is a true species and will fruit but you usually have to hand pollenate it.
    Mark

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

You know, I thought that "Lavendar Lady" and "Amethyst" were the same thing. However, I checked in my "Passiflora" book by Ulmer and MacDougal, and it says that "Amethyst" is the old variety, and "Lavendar Lady" is a hybrid developed by Patrick Worley in the 80s. Just FYI. Amethyst will set fruit, but Lavendar Lady won't, apparently.
    I got my "Amethyst" plant from Logees, you could try there. Mine hasn't flowered yet, so I don't know if it's mislabeled, but you could give them a try. Also, there's an auction on eBay right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Logees Amethyst

• Mystyspassion
    17 years ago

Go To Logee's they have a good Selection; the Stores Like Lowes & Home Depot never label the passionflowers Correctly; I have been buying them from their for years; and I don't think I ever got one that was labeled correctly. The nice thing about buying in these types of stores; is that you get good, large plants; I usually try to find the ones that need a little help; or just don't look as nice as the rest; I then get them to mark them down 50%. And I know I can always get them back especially when their in Gallon Size Pots and have a good Root system.

There are a few good nurseries online where you can get Amethyst; try Logee's and I will post the other nursery I have to look it up on my old computer.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I replied last night, but my post seems to have vanished into the aether.

Yeah, Worley really screwed with people when he released a hybrid that looked almost exactly like Amethyst, and then went and gave it a long-standing synonym for Amethyst as its name. I really wonder what he was thinking?

And I have since found an Amethyst--at least, I believe it to be one. All the identifiers match the specific descriptions, although the only real fool-proof distinguishing feature seems to be "If it sets fruit, it's an Amethyst."

And thanks for the suggestion of Logee's. I've been looking through their selection and my checkbook is itching something fierce!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor