Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Variegated Passiflora membranacea blooming and fruiting

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

Four years ago I posted on a variegated Passiflora membranacea that I saw for sale online. I wondered whether it was truly P. membranacea. The conclusion then was that it might be, but it was not clear as it hadn't bloomed.

Instead of adding to the old thread, and making everyone read a number of posts, I thought it would make sense to start a new thread. Or threads, as it turns out. I'll link to the old post and also bump it up as well.

My main concern is that people are fully aware of the history of this plant, particularly the fact that these took 10 years to bloom under San Francisco conditions. It is usually a cool grower, at least the more widely grown clone is. Seeds should be available from the PSI seedbank, and those tend not to come with a long description.

The plants at Strybing are still labeled "Passiflora sp.", not Passiflora membranacea. The ID is certain, and the flowers appear identical to P. membranacea. There are several planted in the gardens, I believe, but the two I'm most familiar with are in close proximity and blooming and fruiting heavily. The species is not normally self-fertile, so two are necessary to get fruit. These are big plants, way up in the trees, which explains the poor quality of the photos.

Here are a couple pictures from last year:

Zooming in on the above:

And a closeup of the leaves, near the ground. Dave H has much better pictures in the other thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on variegated P. membranacea

This post was edited by mark4321 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 20:43

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area