Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Spring in Texas

jblaschke
17 years ago

I think the last of the cold weather has departed my neck of the woods. My plum trees have seriously swollen buds on them, and my Amethyst and Lady Margaret have been outside for two weeks and are blooming nicely. Yay! What's even better, I checked the mulch in the back corner of my yard and found three sprouts where my p. affinis is coming back. Double yay! If the affinis is back, then my incarnata can't be far behind. :-)

Comments (13)

• angie83
    17 years ago

Only 1 bad thing is some of my passifloras are wilting in this texas heat.My crimson tears is wilting on all the new growth it has plenty of water .Is any of yals passifloras wiltin in the heat.Mine get morning sun and still wilt.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The wind has been extremely dry of late. I fear I lost a really vigorous caerulea cutting the other day because the soil in its 4" pot dried out--and I'd watered it in the morning! Our heat isn't all that bad right now--if you'd been keeping your Crimson Tears inside, it may be in a bit of a shock because of the sudden abundance of light/warmth. And the wind is killer. I've got several established edulis in pots, and they're all droopy right now. Some are even showing leaf burn from the sun, so I've moved them all into partial shade.

Spring's always rough on sheltered passis. :-)

• ninecrow
    17 years ago

jblaschke Which Edulis have you got? I've got Edulis Flavicarpa...
    Please will you keep me up todate on how yours do....
    Thanks
    PS
    Sorry for Hijacking your Thread

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ninecrow, I've just got the garden-variety purple edulis, grown from seed taken from a store-bought fruit. So that means it's not even a named variety.

I *might* have a small flavicarpa cutting. Someone traded me last spring two rooted edulis cuttings, one flavicarpa and one edulis. They weren't labeled. Because of the unusually mild winters we've had of late, I though I'd plant them out and mulch through the winter. So of course we have a week long ice storm this year that killed back not only all of my passis (except for the caerulea--that shrugged the ice off no problem), but also hammered my wife's new palm tree something awful. I have a small cutting that I *think* is from the flavicarpa, but it could be quite a long time before I can tell one way or the other.

• chena
    17 years ago

YIKES!!!!!
    It is beautiful out today but there was frost on the ground this morning..I am so tempted to move some stuff out.. even tho I know better...LOL Our last frost is around the 14/15th of this month but we almost always get the artic blast around Easter... I hope I can hold out for just a little longer..
    Chena

• ninecrow
    17 years ago

Thanks jblaschke, OK Next Question.... LOL Have they Fruited for you?

Good Luch with your Unknown Cutting

• aloysia
    17 years ago

jblaschke, how long did it take your edulis to flower?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

It has been hot here too. I know its AZ and all but it is already 90+ degrees this week(a little hot for this time of year).
    I have a sunburst in mostly shade putting out growth like crazy but all wilty nontheless with this heat even though it gets water. I know that as a defense mechanism against butterflies, some passiflora will have the new growth wilty looking. I dont think that's it now-I think it is just too hot. My other passies look good. Ive had blooms on Lady Margaret, Lav. Lady, and Belotti this past week. Vitrifolia kept dropping buds all winter and finally looks like it will bloom good.

Chena, I feel for you bringing stuff in and out. I hurt my back bigtime doing that this winter/early spring, even though I have a handtruck and knew better than to lift those big vitrifolia, bananas and brug pots lol.....
    ~SJN

• karyn1
    17 years ago

We hit 80 today and have been in the 60's and 70's for the past week. It's tempting to bring my plants outside but in this area I know better. There's a chance of snow on Sat! Around here it's not really safe to take tropicals out until May. At least all my passies (and other plants) have done well with the new HID lights but they'd do so much better if they could be outside.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My Amethyst and Lady Margaret have both put forth a couple of vanguard blossoms in recent days. My Constance Elliott has a good deal of new growth, but no flower buds (it has yet to flower for me). Two of my three incarnata have put forth new growth from where they'd died back over the winter. My affinis keeps trying to grow back, but something's been eating it--I'll have to put down some diatomacious earth to give it a little extra help.

The big new, though, is my caerulea. I planted it last year around this time, and while it grew respectably, it only flowered three times. I checked yesterday, and stopped counting at 50 flower buds. That is going to translate into some serious flowerage in the coming weeks.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

That caerula is going to look beautiful soon. My caerula has been flowering all winter as have a number of my other passies but the only ones that look nice are my red varieties. All my blues, purples and whites look so washed out. Even the reds aren't as vibrant as they are when they're outside but at least the blooms have some color. The flowers that are under the HID lights do have more color than the others but not nearly what they are outside and the vines have grown so out of control that they are creeping across the ceiling above the lights! We did end up getting the winter storm on Fri. That was after temps in the 70's and 80's on Wed & Thurs. This freaky weather has got to end, I NEED warm temps already!!!
    Karyn

• chena
    17 years ago

WOW!!! BlOOMS..I have Z-ENVY sooooo bad!!!!..LOL I have brought most everything out and put the Bananas in the ground(fingers crossed here)..and the weather has just been beautiful..I read an article that the USDA is looking at N.TX as a possible Z8 due to the warm winters..I have had several things that are tipical annuals over winter for the past few yrs.. BUT!!!! It just takes one cold storm to burn ya...
    I am starting to see some new growth on the lutea and P.loefgrenii corupa...I have some new seedling up mollissima and alata still waiting on sp JS and aurantia..I have put some Brugs in the ground.. GOSH.. I am so excited .....LOL
    Chena

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found my first Constance Elliott flower bud! Yay! I'm so jazzed. It's just a little thing, but if it grows up to bloom, there should be plenty of other caerulea flowers blooming as well to pollinate it.

I also planted a Lady Margaret cutting in the ground between the Constance Elliott and my big Incense (which is actually not big at all since the ice storm we had in January killed it almost all the way down to the ground). It's on the south side of our house, with a bunch of indian hawthorn bushes for shelter, so it ought to have a better than average chance of surviving an average winter here.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022