Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Seedling Photos?

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

I thought it would be useful if people could post photos of young seedlings of different species/varieties of Passifloras. With their often erratic germination behavior, I know sometimes people who haven't grown them before can mistake them for weeds.

I'm also looking for someone who is good with Passiflora germination to test 15 seeds (5 from 3 fruits) for me, seeds free for postage. I have seeds from some P. membranacea fruits, and I want to make sure I only send viable seeds to the PSI seedbank. A nice set of one's own seedling photos would be good evidence that someone can germinate Passiflora seeds.

I would expect someone to plant the seeds immediately and get back to me with results, so I can forward seeds to the PSI.

Here's an oddball of mine, which is in fact the variegated P. membranacea. Strangely, the new growth diverged. The fact that the immature leaves "hang down" is completely normal and characteristic of this species, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. membranacea fruits

Comments (28)

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I ordered a packet of seeds called Passion Flowers of the World. I thought identification of the varieties would be included but it was not. I emailed company, they don't know the varieties either. I have four seedlings of mystery passifloras. I can see how this information would be helpful. I' m taking photos, they'll need to be larger I think to see appreciable difference.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

morningloree,

I would guess that seeds in a mix like that might include a lot of the varieties that are harvested commercially for fruit and juice production. Processing those fruits generates a ton of seeds, some of which are appropriate for most people to grow. Some are not. However, they end up for sale. So if one looks at the seed offerings, there are, for example, quite a few for Passiflora ligularis. A check on Ebay: 23 results for Passiflora ligularis seeds, 395 for Passiflora seeds. So that's 6% of all seed offerings, roughly. Unfortunately almost nobody can succeed with P. ligularis, which is a monster plus requires two plants for fruit. Coastal Southern CA, I'm told, may have the appropriate climate. Certain elevations of Hawaii are definitely good. However, in spite of all the seeds that are sold, photos of the flowers on online forums are almost nonexistent. There's a reason for that.

It is a beautiful plant. Below are two seedlings that I rescued at Strybing. They were going to compost them because they won't grow/bloom in the local climate(s). I had those guys for a short time, and gave them a good home.

There are others that I would expect might be common in a mix, and more useful, such as P. edulis. A lot of people may be able to identify seedlings of that.

P. ligularis:

This post was edited by mark4321 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 23:20

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Thanks for the start on my seedling identification. I'll post some pictures when there are a couple sets of leaves. I was worried that I would end up with a few that require cooler weather and those I would be happy to share with someone who has a more suitable climate. I am certain you are correct about the possible mix of seeds I got.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

This might be a P. tarminiana

• morningloree
    10 years ago

P. incarnata

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

Passiflora ornithoura,
    It has been very slow and gets a lot of vine die-back:(
    Hopefully growth will pick up now that spring is here.
    T-

• greenman62
    10 years ago

i THINK this is purple possum
    - or possible its even Incarnata
    unless where i bought it made a mistake ?

can anyone tell me if this is even passiflora ???
    i thought it would have several lobes by now ?

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

greenman62, my recollection is that P. edulis gets lobed leaves somewhere between 1 and 2 feet tall. I've only grown small seedlings and mature plants, though. I think P. incarnata gets lobed leaves when very young. At this stage, though, you should be able to check things such as size and shape of stipules and the position and shape of the glands on the petioles to check if it's consistent. The Ulmer and MacDougal book has this info under each species. If you don't have the book you may be able to look it up on Amazon or Google books.

Here's a very young P. foetida. A white/pink variety, I'm told.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the same variety of P. foetida, different seedling, at a more advanced stage.

These guys are fast, by the way.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I think this is P. tripartita var. mollissima. Not to be confused with P. tarminiana, the species generally sold as "P. mollissima". The youngest leaf is a bit yellow.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

More seedlings

• morningloree
    8 years ago

This a P. Edulis that is just transitioning from juvenile form. It looked like a bushy plant with oval leaves initially, once it got about 2 feet tall, the leaves developed lobes. The top leaf, which may be hard to see has a lobe.

• morningloree
    8 years ago

This is a seedling of P. bogotensis.

• morningloree
    8 years ago

This is a seedling of P. mixta.

• morningloree
    8 years ago

This is P. ligularis. I resurrected this thread, it has helpful information. I hope others can use this info, too. My tags tend to get lost and sometimes I have doubts about what is really growing in my pots. Seedling identification apparently is quite an art. Some of the juvenile forms do not even look like passionflowers. I have been a collector for about 3 years and make some really novice mistakes. I had a weed that I babied for about six months because it was growing in a pot where I had P. popenovii seeds. Very embarrassing!

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Please Continue This Thread as it's VERY Helpful

Thanks

• morningloree
    8 years ago

Better example of P. edulis developing lobes on leaves, the top smaller leaf.

• morningloree
    8 years ago

Seedling of Passiflora lutea

• morningloree
    7 years ago

Passiflora 'Venezuela' a quadrangularis.

• morningloree
    7 years ago

Passiflora miniata

• morningloree
    7 years ago

Passiflora setacea

• fastbukk
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Passiflora popenovii must have very different juvenile leaves because I planted a seed next to my p. Incarnata cutting a year ago and thought this was just a root sprout when it came up. The incarnata must have died as

Lo and behold it finally bloomed yesterday and surprised me as none of the other 6 seeds sprouted.

• morningloree
    7 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I had what I thought was P. popenovii, but I was mistaken. I now have a plant that is grown from seeds that were labeled as P. Popenovii. Congratulations on your plant. It is an uncommon one.

• Tastie Cereale
    3 years ago

So glad to see this thread, even years later! I just found some passionflower seedlings in one of my planter boxes today hiding under a marigold. I'd only tried germinating seeds from a Frederick and Tarminiana "bailadores," neither of which had sprouted. I must've dumped them out into this planter and forgotten about it. I was pretty sure the seedlings did not look like a p. edulis, which would leave the 'bailadores." Thanks to the photo above, I have positively ID'd it. I'm very excited about this, as I've been trying to root cuttings of bailadores without success. Now i have several seedlings! Yay!

• Sarah R.
    2 years ago

Passiflora ligularis seedlings.

• Sarah R.
    2 years ago

If anyone has a Passiflora popenovii plant, I'd love to trade.

• Tastie Cereale
    2 years ago

@Sarah R. Is this Nowal?! I would also love a P. popnovii!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals