Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

Transplanting mystery passionflower

hbwright
18 years ago

I have a wild growing passionflower behind my fence for the past couple years that started blooming last summer, the first bloom I ever saw on it. I love the flower but it is not prominant in my yard so I want to move it. Can they be easily transplanted? If so, what would be the best way?

Comments (5)

• jonga
    18 years ago

I live in South Georgia and move them all the time, they are starting to come up now in my yard. A word of caution they will spread on their own all over the yard as far as 20 feet from the main bush. I have 2 a red and a purple, the red does not spread.

Jon

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

After reading more I think it may not be in the best spot but possibly if I care for it and give it a low nitrogen containing fertilizer it will grow more into the fence then out. I have one woody stem that is stuck through my fence when it grew. I have a feeling that when they put my fence it they damaged a root and somehow got this thing to come up because it is right where they dug a pole. It is in heavy clay with decent sun but it is a very slow grower, only about 2 1/2 feet high after it's second summer and last summer is the first I saw any flowers on it. Any suggestions. I will be able to enjoy it more if it just grew where it was rather then introduce it somewhere else where it may not be appreciated if it grows to fast. Where it is now it can grow as fast and big as it wants.

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

I'd take some cuttings and then plant those where you want them. Most types will root very easily in water or damp potting soil. That way you don't risk losing your parent plant due to transplant shock or something...

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

You most likely have maypop, P. incarnata. They have thick fleshy roots. Just dig up a few pieces and plant them were you want them. Water them well at first, then stand back and run. Best to plant them where mowing will control their spread.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Where it is growing is right behind my fence and I have noticed seedlings here and there in the wooded area in the back. If I could get it to somehow move forward a single foot then it would be in the inside of my fence. I am trying to push young branches through so I can see it better. It does look much healthier and leafy this year then the last two. Does it take a couple years to establish. I'm pretty sure what I have in that area is the "parent plant". The other offspring are much smaller. The soil is horrible where it is at, it is on my property but not in my yard. Could I throw some fertilizer down. There is a lot of compost in that area though because we throw clippings of everything back there, including big chunks of yard that we don't want in the yard anymore. Attracts loads of critters (lizards) but I love it that way. I have not noticed any cats on it but I've been looking. Are they more attractive to the butterflies when they are in bloom?

Sponsored