Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jegcyano

Edibles for temperate climate

jegcyano
15 years ago

Ok here's a challenge, what passifloras are best for producing edible fruit in zone six (or colder)? They need not be hardy, but able to produce fruit in a shortened growing season. Among these are there any that have dwarf or bush-type varieties? Or in a broader question are there dwarf or bush type varieties of ANY passiflora? Of course you see where I am going with this, i'm trying to ascertain whether the potential exists to breed and select varieties that could be used for fruit production in more northern climates and limited space.

Comments (4)

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

Incarnata is your best bet for an in-ground plant. Finding some native to the Ohio River Valley would assure you of a population acclimated to harsh winter conditions. I've heard of people successfully growing edulis varieties in pots, overwintering them indoors, but don't know how successful that'd be for you.

I actually had a dwarf incarnata growing in my yard. Never grew larger than 6' and the flowers were somewhat smaller than normal as well. It hasn't come up yet this year, though.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

This doesn't come close to answering your question, but if you're not familiar with the following they may be worth a look.

The USDA had a project for a while (I'm not sure the timing, but several decades ago), to look for hybrids that were cold hardy (like P. incarnata), yet produced good fruit (like P. edulis). They didn't really find anything appropriate, but they did develop the 'Incense' hybrid as a by-product of the project. Others who read this forum are more familiar with this project.

As far as good tasting fruit if you are willing to grow it inside some part of the year, you should probably look into P. edulis. I would assume there are people who take them inside for the winter and can produce fruit outside in the summer--hopefully someone will speak up.

There is one P. edulis variety that I know is widely billed as smaller and more suitable for growing in pots--this is 'Black Knight'. I don't have a clue as to whether it really is much smaller. You may find it difficult to locate this variety; additionally there was a post a while back suggesting that the clone sold by one of the major nurseries is not in fact 'Black Knight'--if you do a search you will find this.

In August last year our local nursery (Yamagami's in Cupertino) sold P. edulis plants in one gallon pots that were in bud/bloom with several fruits. I believe these were 'Black Knight' and 'Red Rover'. They also sell 'Frederick' in fruit, but in 5 gallon pots.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

In Georgia grows a variety of Passiflora, which I believe is INCARNATA. Its fruie is about the size of walnut. It has a special tart taste and it turns pale green/yellow when ripe.

The plant's top dies after the very first frost but its root survives and grows back next year around late April.
    (They have just started now)
    It has a beautiful climbing vine and the flowers are very fragrant and amazingly pretty.
    They multiply throuhg roots that run. It may also grow from seeds.
    I have dug some roots out in the winter and have planted them places that I want them to grow and climb.

• drunichols1_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We have wild passionflowers here, so I'm assuming they will at least grow, but am looking for a variety that will produce edible fruit, but don't need the cold-hardiness mentioned above. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz